Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #1 
ZergyMonster

How do you feed a sorority?

I just set up a sorority and am having a little trouble getting them all to eat. I have a very dominant girl who eats just about everything I toss in there so she is already off to a bad start and might be getting bloated. She is so dominant that she will even steal away food from the other girls that are trying to eat.

She gets along well enough to live with the other girls, she is just very aggressive about being the only who should eat. Should I place her in a small cup and float her so I can feed the other girls or should I just find a way to distract her while I feed the rest?
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #2 
Pod

Honestly, I had this problem at first as well. I have a total of 3 females in my 6 gallon tank, 2 new girls floating, and my older female out of the tank since there wasn't enough room for her to float.

How I feed my females is that I bring my hand above the female whom I am trying to feed. She'll leap towards the food, thus, eating it before the other females can stop her. Then again, that's just me.

The older members may be able to help you with this, though. I just stated what works best for me.
Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #3 
Silverfang

You might need to net her during feeding time, or cup her. I usually have a couple of pigs who try to steal all the food. It takes some practice to tease the other girls into eating when you wiggle at them.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #4 
ZergyMonster

That is what I was thinking but I was hoping that I can at least teach her that everyone needs food but if I have to I will cup her until everyone is fed. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #5 
keamy

I'm also interested in the answer of this question....
keamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #6 
kfryman

I find it easy, every day it is a new hog, same girls just always different. The key is having them jump for food or distracting the other girls. It seems challenging at first but soon you will get the hang if it. Maybe it helps that I have floating plants that break up the surface? I don't know, but two of my girls are slower eaters. I make sure they all get at least two pellets

I added one girl that has a gill flap that is missing, her mouth is also small but the flap may gift her a tiny bit so she doesn't open her mouth all the way. So I have her get a pellet then she usually swims off with it if she can't swallow it. She will come back after she swallowed it.

Once you get your girls settled you should familiarize them with your hand and such. My avatar was taken like 5 minutes after I got the first girl to go on my hand. They are fun to have though. Two of mine sometimes jump fully out of the water and across the top like 4 inches. And now I am rambling completely off topic lol.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #7 
Silverfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Once you get your girls settled you should familiarize them with your hand and such. My avatar was taken like 5 minutes after I got the first girl to go on my hand. They are fun to have though. Two of mine sometimes jump fully out of the water and across the top like 4 inches. And now I am rambling completely off topic lol.
I gotta say, when my girls want food, they will ALL jump and leap several inches too. They are so much fun. Usually I show up by the tank and they swarm me.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #8 
ZergyMonster

So I guess the main point here is letting them get comfortable with me and to single them out for food. They just need to understand that I am the hand that feeds, I'm guessing that will just take some time. Thanks again for all the advise.