Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #1 
Amndpu

? About putting Betta into new tank.

So I'm putting my Betta into his new 10 gal tank today. The water source is the same as his 1g and I've tested both with the API 5 in 1 test strips. Everything came out the same except the nitrite and nitrate in the new tank are at 0. The temps are the same. Do I still have to go through the long process of acclimating him to the new tank such as leaving him in a bag/cup for an hour and then slowly adding new water to the old (10% every 30 min)? Or can I simply leave him in the bag/cup for the hr and then slowly mix the waters together say in about ten minutes and then put him in the tank? Also how will I know if the filter is too strong for him? I don't want to hurt or stress my fish. Thanks!!
Amndpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #2 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amndpu View Post
So I'm putting my Betta into his new 10 gal tank today. The water source is the same as his 1g and I've tested both with the API 5 in 1 test strips. Everything came out the same except the nitrite and nitrate in the new tank are at 0. The temps are the same. Do I still have to go through the long process of acclimating him to the new tank such as leaving him in a bag/cup for an hour and then slowly adding new water to the old (10% every 30 min)? Or can I simply leave him in the bag/cup for the hr and then slowly mix the waters together say in about ten minutes and then put him in the tank? Also how will I know if the filter is too strong for him? I don't want to hurt or stress my fish. Thanks!!
Yes, acclimate him. If the water temps are the same you can start adding water sooner than one hour.Leaving him in the bag for the hour is to let the temp equalize. If you see him swimming/fighting in the current it's too strong. Most likely you will need to block the current to reduce flow.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #3 
Amndpu

How would I block the current?
Amndpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #4 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amndpu View Post
How would I block the current?
Luckily , my filters top can be hung upside down and hung on the front and it blocks and redirects the water. If yours won't do this you can get a filter/media sponge and rubber band it directly in the out spout of your filter. Or a plastic water bottle cut into the appropriate shape and rubber banded or tied with thread over the outlet of your filter
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote