Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #1 
Hankbetta

Unhappy I'm worried about Ollie, I gave him his 2nd salt bath today...

And after I put him back into his tank I noticed that his anal fin had split. He's been resting an awful lot lately, close to the top of the tank and he'll lean against the wall will using the other fin to keep himself afloat.

I have Primafix, should I try using that? Because in this second salt bath he kept almost fainting, but would snap out of it when I reached for the net.
Oh and here's a picture of his split fin, if it helps...
Attached Images

Hankbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #2 
ltshinthebetta

I hope he'll be ok. =(
My betta fish William's dorsal fin got split into 3 sections. :/ I think he'll be ok though.
ltshinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #3 
Hankbetta

Well it's all the resting against the tank wall that has me more worried. He didn't do that when I first got him :(
Old 08-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #4 
ltshinthebetta

I really hope he'll be ok.

I'm curious on how you do your salt baths, I asked about it but no one answered. How many times do you do one in one day, and do you change the water each time?
and how many times do you give salt bathes in certain water before you change it?

haha, sorry for the questions, I never have given salt baths before and I just want to make sure I am doing it right.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #5 
ltshinthebetta

oops sorry for double post. D:
Old 08-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #6 
Hankbetta

Well, from what I've read, it's best to do it in a smaller container or tank. I use a tank that's like half a gallon, then fill 50% of it with the salt water I've made. To make it, you get aquarium salt, add one teaspoon to one gallon of treated water, mix in the salt until it's fully dissolved. The key part is to make sure the salt water is the same temp as your tank water so your fish wont go into shock.
Once you've done all that, let your fish sit in the water for 5 minutes, but watch him the whole time because you'll want to remove him if he goes unconscious, and then either put him back in his tank or in a seperate container with treated water that has no salt. If he does fine after 5 minutes, you'll want to add some of his tank water to the salt water so it's 2/3 tank water and 1/3 salt water, then let him hang out for 10-15 more minutes.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #7 
ltshinthebetta

hmm, I'm doing it completely different, I've been told just to put the salt in there, and keep him in there for like a hospital tank...
Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #8 
Hankbetta

Oh, I don't know. I just figured it was safer to do it the way I was doing it and from all the stuff I had read, they said to put them in a "hospital tank". You'd have to ask someone more experienced than I.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #9 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltshinthebetta View Post
I really hope he'll be ok.

I'm curious on how you do your salt baths, I asked about it but no one answered. How many times do you do one in one day, and do you change the water each time?
and how many times do you give salt bathes in certain water before you change it?

haha, sorry for the questions, I never have given salt baths before and I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

You can do salt baths up to 5 times a day. You don't have to change the water everytime, but clean water is always great for bettas. You are supposed to give salt baths in a separate container - but some people just add salt to the tank because their fish don't handle the tank switching very well.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote