Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #1 
roger12

Is my betta handicapped?

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong section.. wasn't really sure where else it would go. I've had a male betta for around 3 weeks at this point. When I got home and prepared the tank.. I noticed he was one his side. To which I assumed he was dead, anyway he fixed himself upright again. However, I noticed he kept doing it; sometimes even turning completely upside down. Upon putting him in the tank, I noticed he was also struggling to swim. He just stayed at the top, never tired swimming down. I also noticed that his back looked crooked. I searched online and came to the conclusion that he had swim bladder disorder. So I kinda just hoped for the best and assumed it might pass.

Anyway, a few days later I noticed he was swimming slightly better (still not very good). He on occasion swam to the bottom of the tank. I figured, maybe he was improving... eh, not so much. 3 weeks later, he still just floats at the top and for the most part floats on his side. Sometimes he'll make a quick sprint, but it never lasts long. He obviously must be eating (how else would he still be alive). So my question is could he just be handicapped or even challenged? I feel bad, because I'm not sure if he is suffering.. idk, any suggestions?
roger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #2 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger12 View Post
Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong section.. wasn't really sure where else it would go. I've had a male betta for around 3 weeks at this point. When I got home and prepared the tank.. I noticed he was one his side. To which I assumed he was dead, anyway he fixed himself upright again. However, I noticed he kept doing it; sometimes even turning completely upside down. Upon putting him in the tank, I noticed he was also struggling to swim. He just stayed at the top, never tired swimming down. I also noticed that his back looked crooked. I searched online and came to the conclusion that he had swim bladder disorder. So I kinda just hoped for the best and assumed it might pass.

Anyway, a few days later I noticed he was swimming slightly better (still not very good). He on occasion swam to the bottom of the tank. I figured, maybe he was improving... eh, not so much. 3 weeks later, he still just floats at the top and for the most part floats on his side. Sometimes he'll make a quick sprint, but it never lasts long. He obviously must be eating (how else would he still be alive). So my question is could he just be handicapped or even challenged? I feel bad, because I'm not sure if he is suffering.. idk, any suggestions?
I don't think SBD causes a bent spine. At this point I think he's suffering and won't recover. I would euthanize. Not sure what size tank you have, take this opportunity yo get at least a 5g , research the nitrogen cycle and cycle your tank before adding another fish. Uncycled tanks can kill fish.

Last edited by marshallsea; 09-22-2013 at 01:55 PM.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #3 
roger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
I don't think SBD causes a bent spine. At this point I think he's suffering and won't recover. I would euthanize. Not sure what size tank you have, take this opportunity yo get at least a 5g , research the nitrogen cycle and cycle your tank before adding another fish. Uncycled tanks can kill fish.
I have a 2g, all my other fishes seemed content. Yea, I was reading about euthanizing him.. but wanted to hear some more opinions.
roger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

I have a betta with slightly bent spine which I am certain is deformity. He is gorgeous it looked like SBD when I bought him. He just has a little bump toward the end of his spine. He sometimes swims a little akwardly. He is living a fulfulling life. Why not post a video of your fish? Make it at least two or three minutes so people can really evaluate his issue.
jadaBlu is online now   Reply With Quote