Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 
shadepixie

Siphon vacuums rule!

Did my first weekly water change today with a siphon vacuum... cannot believe how much faster and more efficient it is with one of those things! Got a TopFin one from Petsmart, used a marked/measured bucket, not a drop spilled from the siphoning. Emptied half the tank in a little over a minute. Sucked up a lot of the schmutz. So pleased, just had to be careful of the ghost shrimp. ;)
shadepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #2 
WhitneyLin

I use a turkey baster and it seems to take forever, even with my small tank. Can I ask how much you paid for it? I've been thinking about picking one up.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #3 
Mo

Yeah. I really liked mine too and yesterday I did a water change without one and I forgot how much more work it was, lol

Whitneylin - mine was 10$
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

OH, once you've done one, you'll never go back!
SO much faster, easier, and you clean up the gravel so much more because of the strong suction.

I think they've got one at walmart for 9 or 10$, but that's about average. :) I'd check online to whatever stores you have locally and find the best price and then just hit that store. :) That way you can shop from home and make one trip. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #5 
shadepixie

I think I paid $11.99 for mine, but I'm in Canada and its more expensive for a lot of stuff here. I bet in the US it's less than $10, easily. I want to do the water change over again to use it!! :p
shadepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #6 
Mo

Lol shade pixie. When I got mine I didn't love it that much
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #7 
RowdyBetta

Lol, thank goodness for siphons! XD I can't imagine not using one anymore.

I just use clear airline tubing. Cost me about $1.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

One other tip, someone came up with this a few months back, so I'm not taking credit, lol, but I did want to pass it on!

But to refill a tank, you can get a large bucket, fill it with water, treat it, and then take a pond or fountain pump and some wide-diameter airline tubing and pump the water back into the tank. ;) I do partial changes on 130 gals of water every 2 weeks, which made water changes SUCH a pain, but I bought a really big Rubbermaid container, stuck it in my bathtub, filled it with water, and then pumped the water out of the bathroom, down the hall, into the other room...and into the tanks. ;) You have to get a pretty strong pump, but it works great. :) And no more carrying buckets, yay!! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How do you even do water changes without a siphon? O.o

I still lug buckets lol. Oh well, I don't mind.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #10 
WhitneyLin

*writes down on to get list* I find it tedious with the 2.5g, I am definitely going to need one when I get the two 5g.

Slowly with my turkey baster. Its a chore. Its definitely the longest part of cleanings. I am way too thorough so it definitely takes me some time.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote