Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #1 
Oscar 1658

could you take a second to do a quick summary?

Hello I'm new here, I dont own a betta fish but just in the process of researching on them on whether I can provide a good home for one since I fell in love with a picture of a 'half moon red' fish...
How beautiful!

Quick summary of my tank.. 54litre, two plecos in at the moment, wood + plastic plant and pot decoration, gravel, two filters, heater (temp is around 24 degrees) I read my set up isnt ideal for these fish but if it doesnt affect the plecs I could change things to suite both... If you could provide a summary of what they require and any experiences you have had with plecs and bettas? Not adding any more fish after this one so he/she has no need to share space, ideal water parameters? gathering peoples opinions on their care. Thanks :)

Last edited by Oscar 1658; 09-22-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Oscar 1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #2 
Oscar 1658

Just read through 'betta basics' are they okay with drift wood? What do you guys have ghat they can hide in?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #3 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar 1658 View Post
Hello I'm new here, I dont own a betta fish but just in the process of researching on them on whether I can provide a good home for one since I fell in love with a picture of a 'half moon red' fish...
How beautiful!

Quick summary of my tank.. 54litre, two plecos in at the moment, wood + plastic plant and pot decoration, gravel, two filters, heater (temp is around 24 degrees) I read my set up isnt ideal for these fish but if it doesnt affect the plecs I could change things to suite both... If you could provide a summary of what they require and any experiences you have had with plecs and bettas? Not adding any more fish after this one so he/she has no need to share space, ideal water parameters? gathering peoples opinions on their care. Thanks :)
How long has this tank been running? 2 Plecos really need a 150l tank or bigger. Plecos get huge and even when young create a huge bio load on your tank. Adding a betta would be adding to an already overstocked tank.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #4 
Jennifer Vazquez

24 degrees???????
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #5 
Oscar 1658

Ive had them since babies, the tank is around 3 years old and ive ran into no problems with them both, I know an upgrade will be needed for them
Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #6 
sugarunicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Vazquez View Post
24 degrees???????
He probably means celsius, thats around 75 F.
sugarunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

Driftwood is great, and they love to hide in surface level plants. :) Bettas tend to stay near the surface of the tank because they partially breathe air, so soft plants that reach the surface or are near to it are their preferred hiding spots. Some people put in caves and other décor, and some fish do sleep in those as well, but even these love their surface plants. :) Just about anything that is aquarium safe is safe for bettas, just make sure that any holes are either big enough for betta to get through, or small enough that he won't even try. They LOVE trying to cram their bodies into anything they can... ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote