Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #1 
Neso

A bit weird

Okay so my new betta is extremely active and flares at everything and makes giant bubble nests, which is great; but sometimes he plays with his food and eventually eats it but other times he spits it out, and I feed him NLS...should I be worried?

Also over the past couple of days I've noticed some small tears in his tail fin, but I have him in a NPT so I wasn't sure if real plants could tear or perhaps he is a tail biter, but I haven't seen him bite, what do you think?
Neso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #2 
clairefish

Are you feeding him the same thing they fed him in the store? My boys wouldn't eat new food at first, since they were adapting to the new environment. If he doesn't eat in the next couple of days, I would ask the store/breeder what they were feeding him and get some of that, then introduce him to the NLS slowly.

It depends on the plants, one of mine tore his fins on a hornwort plant. Is your tank fully cycled? It could be ammonia-related.
clairefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 
Neso

He gobbled up the NLS the first couple of days after I brought him home, the spitting out has been fairly recent.

I do have a huge stalk of hornwort in my tank and heloves swimming behind it...also I've been checking ammonia everyday and it's been at 0ppm
Neso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #4 
clairefish

Hmmm... I'm not really sure then, sorry. :(
clairefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #5 
FirstBetta

Smile

[quote=Neso;3065314]Okay so my new betta is extremely active and flares at everything and makes giant bubble nests, which is great; but sometimes he plays with his food and eventually eats it but other times he spits it out, and I feed him NLS...should I be worried?

Also over the past couple of days I've noticed some small tears in his tail fin, but I have him in a NPT so I wasn't sure if real plants could tear or perhaps he is a tail biter, but I haven't seen him bite, what do you think?[/quote

I wouldn't worry for a few more days. I just think it is adjustment to the new home. If he gets hungry enough he will eat. If it continues beyond a week it could be a problem.

My guy ignored food for about 4 or 5 days, Now he eats whatever I feed him which is mainly NLS with occasionally Ocean Nutrition Betta Pellets. As real treat he gets frozen blood worms. At first he spit the worms out too.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote