Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #1 
m1b2y3

Question Is there something wrong with this betta?

I've raised this betta for couple of months. It got cotton disease for 3 times and I finally figured out where the problem was. It was the decoration stones that carried Saprolegnia. All problem are solved after I removed them.

Recently I found some of his tails look like being folded up, as the photo shows in the yellow circle. I'm not sure if this is normal or something relate to the cotton disease. Does anyone know whether there is anything wrong with him? All commends are appreciated.
Attached Images

m1b2y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #2 
Blue Fish

First off, gorgeous fish!!

Okay, other than that, it looks like it might be fin curling from hard water. I've got several CT's, but only one has curly fins...go figure. ;) Same water in all the tanks... O_o Sometimes I wonder if it's partially hereditary.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you want to go the RO water method, there's not a good way to soften your water, and it won't hurt him. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #3 
m1b2y3

Thank you for the reply!

When I change water for him I usually use aged tap water with conditioner and some marine salt. Could it be helpful to use half distill water mixed with tap water? If I soften the water, will those curls disappear or stay?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

First off, unless you're treating him for something, the general recommendation is to not use salt at all. Treatments are different and should only go on for 10 days, otherwise they risk having kidney damage from the increased workload. :)

I've never tried to soften water, but this looks like a pretty complete post about it on the other forum, that might be a good place to start. :) I'd hate to guess and give you totally incorrect information!
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...quarium-73276/

If that doesn't help, then we'll track someone down on here who has some experience with it. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #5 
m1b2y3

Thanks a lot! The post is very helpful! For now I'm guessing it was the coarse salt that's causing the fin curling. I'll gradually change his water and see if he got better.