Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #1 
litljenarey

New owner with a story and a question...

I just got my very first betta for my preschool class. I didn't know what I was getting into when I got it though...because then I found bettafish.com

Well, I originally started with a "betta bowl" from Walmart. It's less than a half gallon with the rocks in it and "Pearla" died in 48 hours. Knowing what I do now, he had velvet and was close to gone when I brought him home. I went back to the shop and exchanged him, armed with the power of knowledge and realized that the tanks they kept the fish in were filthy, all connected in a long divided row (so the sick ones were just infecting all the other ones) and there were sick and even dead fish in all thier tanks. Terrible.

Luckily, I got there just as they were opening a shipment and got a beautiful purple and red one (it's body is a purple irridencent, and fins are red). A very healthy, non-contaminated one. I put him in a large vase (it holds a gallon) with a plastic plant and some marbles, planning to go to the PetSupermarket to get accessories for my 10 gallon tank. I already had the tank, but it had been our turtles until he moved into a 55 gal, and so it didn't even have gravel.

I am now in love with my PetSupermarket!! The bettas were extremely well kept. Not a single sickly fish! They had an entire section devoted to bettas, with books, tanks, tank seperators, low flow filters, warmers, live foods, etc. It was like betta mecca. I was looking at the fish when I saw the most awesome one I'd ever seen. Black body, yellow fins with black outlined. Amazing. I kept coming back to him, even though I was only looking for tank accessories. He was calling to me. I took my daughter over to the bunnies and came back again and someone had tried to hide him on the back of the shelf behind the others. I realized how much I wanted him. So I snatched him up and took him home and now I have 2!!

So, I still have #2 in the cup he came home in (I wasn't planning to get him, so I don't have anything to put him in right now) and he was watching me cook dinner. I crushed a cracker and a piece flew by him and WOW! He chased it. LOL I'd never seen a fish do that before. So, I'm cutting up chicken and I swear to God, he's begging! Right at the top of the bowl, swimming around like "are you gonna give me some? Please please give me some."

And I'm a sucker, so I did.

He loved it, absolutely loved it. It was then I realized that maybe I shouldn't feed him raw chicken?

So, there's my story, and my question. Is it a problem that he had some raw chicken? Does anyone else ever feed thiers chicken? He seemed to know what it was so maybe he's had it before.
litljenarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #2 
litljenarey

BTW, I never did get my 10 gallon tank stuff. I'm going to get a divider and put them both in the 10 gallon but plants and stuff are so expensive...I'm searching craigslist right now for some cheaper things and thier both in vases on the kitchen countertop. The purple/red we named Niji, the other doesn't have a name yet.
litljenarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #3 
5green

you proably should not give them raw food and stick to the fish food
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #4 
5green

and never get gravel from walmart i have heard two stories about it turning the water blue
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't feed raw food either. Besides pellets, you can feed him freeze dried or frozen daphnia, bloodworms and brine shrimp.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Hopefully it was only a little bit of Chicken. A very small amount probably won't hurt him too much. But, I wouldn't do it again. If you want some treats for him, get him some Freeze dried bloodworms.

Welcome to the forum!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #7 
bettababe321

Congrats on your new Bettas! The second one sounds beautiful, what about the name Fiji? Rhymes with Niji lol. I'm not sure about the chicken.. I mean I would keep an eye on him in case he gets sick and I probly wouldn't do it again. There are alot of varieties of "treats" out there for bettas that you can give if they get sick of pellets. Mine LOVE bloodworms, they're fairly inexpensive and because I only feed them once a week they last a long time.
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #8 
Vikki81207

Yeah get him some bloodworms for treats. I dont think raw chicken and stuff is a good idea.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #9 
5green

my betta when i put in some bloodworms hhe just cant wait and takes it from my finger its cute but anoying
Old 08-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #10 
Ilovemyshiny

my bettas are spoiled they get only blood worms and like once a week i give them color enhancing food
Ilovemyshiny is offline   Reply With Quote