Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #1 
Elena

New 10 gal tank question

I have a newly setup 10 gal tank with two boys (pics in the picture section). It has a filter and will have a heater as soon as it's needed (right now it's at a toasty 80 degrees). I diverted the water flow in the filter section based on instructions from one of Neenjar's posts and as a result I am getting decent water flow in the section without the filter as well. I want to cycle this tank however I don't want this process to hurt my boys. So here is what I am planning to do, and please shout if it doesn't sound right. I will do weekly 50% water changes, while monitoring ammonia/nitrites every day. Plus i am using filter media from my established 30 gal. I should have really done fishless cycling but thought I could bypass all that by using stuff from my 30 gal. What have people done with cycled tanks? I think I read somewhere that even with such heavy water changes the tank will still cycle but it will take months instead of weeks. What do you think?
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #2 
Kim

If your 30 gallon is well cycled then the 10 gal may never even cycle especially since it's so lightly stocked. I've taken filter media from 1 betta tank and put it into a brand new tank and never experienced a cycle at all. That's the beauty of bettas...they really aren't messy fish at all :)

I would just monitor it carefully for a while and continue with your normal weekly water changes.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #3 
Elena

Thank you Kim. That is wonderful news. I was worried that I was going to relocate my boys during cycling. They look happy and ammonia is at zero so there is no need to test for nitrites every day, right? By the way, the fish in your avatar is absolutely stunning.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote