Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #1 
anjelita

Newbie and unsure

Hi

Recently I bought my son a betta fish and, thinking I was doing the right thing, bought him the biggest 'fighter tank' (2.4 litres) at the store and a heater. After doing some reading I realised this isn't right so went back to the drawing board.

I now have for him a 12 litre tank with a filter, a rock with holes for hiding, silk plants and water with betta conditioner drops. I haven't moved him yet as the instructions say to have the filter running for 5-7 days before adding the fish so he's still in the horrible tiny tank he does seem happy enough though. Very friendly little guy.

The heater I have was specifically for the small tank, and is 5 watt. I get the feeling I am going to be advised to buy a new heater???? The 12L tank which he has not yet been transferred into is 71F with no heater (I'm in a warm area) but I do realise they are tropical fish and do need to be kept warm.

Anyway, I'm nervous about moving him as cycling, nitrogen, etc is still a bit daunting for me and he looks so healthy in his small tank. Does the 12L (3 gallon) setup mentioned above sound OK to move him into?
anjelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

As long as you keep the water changed out they are fine in small homes. He will be fine til you are ready to move him. 71 is just too cold. You can try the small heater and see if it can hold the temp at 77 or higher. If not you will need a bigger one. You aren't going to cycle a tank in a week so no need to wait. He can go in the bigger tank.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Even if you keep up a stringent water change schedule in the half-gallon tank, he would still be safer and more comfortable in the 3g, even at lower temperatures. Of course you want to get it heated soonest. Best advice is to get a 25W adjustable heater from Eheim, Hagen, Hydor. Thee are other suggestions on one of the heater threads floating around here. Get a cheap floating thermometer to make sure the temperature is 78*-82*.

The 5-7 day waiting advice is totally without value and downright wrong. Cycling the tank is important, but not something you have to do right away. Get Seachem Prime water conditioner, a product which detoxifies ammonia, and put in 6 drops with every water change. Change half the water every other day until you get one of these.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380013602&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater"]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]
Get a bottle of Prime along with it and get free shipping.

If you continue to perform a 50% water change every other day, and do not clean the filter or substrate, eventually your tank will cycle. There, wasn't that easy.

PS: Usually it is best if you do not listen to petstore personnel. The combined wisdom of this forum will ensure healthy, happy fish and pleased, contented keepers.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-24-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #4 
anjelita

Thanks very much for the replies. Incidentally I just went in to check the temp of the new tank and it is around 76F with no heater but this is after being in the warm room all day (it's 8 pm here). I figure it will cool overnight which is what I want to avoid.

Awesome news re moving him right away! I am hoping he loves his new setup, I'm still feeling pretty guilty and stupid about the current arrangement.

I might work on getting the temperature up tomorrow which will likely require another trip back to the store, but better than a cold fish!

Another concern I have is filter being too strong?

If I can work it out I will post a picture to show you what I mean.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

While you're at the petstore, get a small quantity of aquarium sponge. You can rubber-band or zip-tie a piece over the outflow of your filter. This should cut down the current enough for his comfort.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #6 
anjelita

OK I've been doing some Googling and finally found a Hydor heater locally, but I'm not even sure it's adjustable http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...D=3269&catID=7

Unfortunately that test kit from Amazon won't ship to my address and, lucky old me living in Australia, that very same kit is $65 here!!!

I did source some Prime here which doesn't cost the earth and can pick some up today if need be. I've been using this one http://store.cityfarmers.com.au/blue...ield-50ml.html would that be OK? Or definitely make the change to Prime?

I haven't moved him yet as I'm still reluctant and haven't sourced a heater. Should I be putting a plant or some water from his current tank into the new one? I'm just nervous about putting him into a brand new tank - typical me, I bought him for my son and I've become fond of him myself. I really don't want him to become a casualty.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #7 
anjelita

Here is the new tank waiting for him, I assume the condensation is because it's warmer inside the tank compared to the room it's currently sitting in.

Name:  photo 10.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  46.2 KB
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #8 
Skuldane

I love his heater if you are still debating.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #9 
leejohn02

Nice little tank. I would try to get a live plant for it if you can, its better than silk and helps keep ammonia down, also I would try your current heater in the tank b4 you move him, and then look at getting a bigger one asap, as for test kits if you don't want to buy a kit straight away, you lfs or Lps will test the water for you, sometime for free other times for a small fee, I would do this weekly until you can get your own, make sure to get a liquid test kit, these are more accurate
leejohn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #10 
anjelita

I thought about a live plant, and I think they look so much nicer than silk but I'm worried that's going to be a whole other learning curve when I'm already a bit lost. If I bought a super low maintenance live plant, would I have to do anything else other than what I'm planning?