Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sorry you can't get a test kit. It's rather important when cycling a tank that size. Can you get test strips? Failing that, in the interest of fish safety, you'd want to perform a 50% water change every other or third day. This is where Prime is so important. It detoxifies ammonia for a couple of days. It would be nice to know your pH. Further advice would be better with this information.

Your going to have a difficult time growing plants in that tank. I don't see provisions for a light. Anubias is a great low-light, hard-to-kill plant that looks nice and fish like. Java fern is also good. Java moss or mossballs. Anything else is going to want light. You could easily use a desk-lamp with that setup.

The Hydor Theo adjustable heater is exactly what you want.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #12 
anjelita

I'm going to make some trips around the place to see if I can find some test kits, I really don't want to move him unless I can guarantee the water is safe.

The tank has some LED lights in the lid, I assumed they were purely ornamental with a blue one for night and white for day.

Will grab some Prime when I find a decent aquarium store with test kits etc.
anjelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #13 
xjenuhfur

12L is approx 3 gallons, right? Which should be big enough. IMO I don't bother cycling anything under 5 gallons. Keeping up with WC should be easy enough.
And I don't know whats available in Australia, but Prime is highly recommended because its literally a drop of prime per gallon of water. Which makes it highly concentrated and long lasting. (its smells awful though, so don't sniff it)
I live in a hot & humid environment as well, and I've found that if I just unplug my heater during the day (because it will bump the temp up in the tank to about 82, I've forgotten to unplug before) and plug it in at night that usually works well. (:
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #14 
BETTACHKALOVE

The tank is cute and of course you can cycle but why all this hassle, you not experienced, i think its better just keep regular water changes. Its will be easier for you. Filters are not necessity for the bettas and your tank is not big so its very easy for cycle to crash . You can successfully keep your betta for long time in not cycled tank. You just need to do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week.

oops xjen didn't see your reply :)
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #15 
leejohn02

You can buy weighted plants instead of potted and just replace the as required, the only thing you will have to do with a weighted plant is pull off the dead leaves its exactly the same as any other plant except you don't have to worry about watering lol, or feeding for that matter
leejohn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #16 
ANHEL123

I kind of agree that it matter of preference if you want to cycle or not in the tank size like that. I don't cycle my tanks and my bettas live pretty long.
xjenuhfur i have the smaller bottle of Prime that actually difficult to find in the stores now. Its says 2 drops per gallon:) But people saying to difficult to overdose and i end up all the time with 4 drops per gall. But i thought its better to put tiny bit more than not enough:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #17 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I kind of agree that it matter of preference if you want to cycle or not in the tank size like that. I don't cycle my tanks and my bettas live pretty long.
xjenuhfur i have the smaller bottle of Prime that actually difficult to find in the stores now. Its says 2 drops per gallon:) But people saying to difficult to overdose and i end up all the time with 4 drops per gall. But i thought its better to put tiny bit more than not enough:)
Mine doesn't say how many drops it is, so i usually end up overdosing too. xD
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #18 
ANHEL123

i know non of the bigger bottle of the Prime tell you that ,its all ml for 100 or 200 L. And sometimes people get confused with dosage. The only bottle that says 2 drops per gall is the one that i have . I don't remember how big it is, i think its 50 ml and its has dropper lid. I have it for long time and i can't find the same size of it in any of the stores. Its so convenient that it has that dropper lid:) I keep my bettas every where lol I have 2 jobs and i keep bettas there and at home. So the bottle at the doctor office i am working. I have 2 bettas there so that Prime bottle i think i have for more than a year and a half. May be they discontinue them. Sorry for too many details:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #19 
anjelita

Thanks for all the advice. I'll pick up some Prime for sure. The current water conditioner I have required SIXTY drops. Two per gallon sounds so much easier!!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #20 
anjelita

The saga continues. I managed to make a huge trip down to an aquarium shop and sourced a 25W heater. Getting it in was a bit of an issue because it is a round bowl. I had to double up the suction cups and I'm not sure if it is ever so slightly touching the glass at the side.

If it is slightly touching the glass - will it be OK?