Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #11 
5green

lots of work but i bet itll be worth it =)
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #12 
Jynx

yeah I can't actually do any of that- I have no funding- but I did just send a message about it to an ex I'm still friends with who DOES want to start a small business soon and has the education to do it.
I think the trick would be to really specialize so you wouldn't be directly competing with the big pet stores.
And if anyone is in the San Diego area and does want to actually do this- I might be looking for a job there in a year or two.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #13 
Vikki81207

I would also make my employees take a class on bettas and pass a test. lol
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #14 
rb500

Haha, this sounds like a great idea! I would drive all the way out to wherever you guys are just to see it.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #15 
5green

me too =)
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #16 
Hankbetta

Man, that sounds awesome, specially since in the past week I've been to Petsmart and Petco, the Betta's looked sick, all of them. And even one of the local fish shops that I got Ollie from, their recent shipment of Betta's all looked to have something wrong with them :(
So a shop like this would be awesome!!!
Hankbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #17 
Jynx

aww that's too bad
But yeah part of the appeal is that the shop only sell healthy fish. And probably breed their own lines so they wouldn't have to be shipped long distance.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #18 
RoseyD

An even better idea... since fish stores can easily have planted tanks - they sell plants anyways so why not... how about having community tanks that include bettas in them? Then the customers can see the fish swimming freely, and choose which one they want... The girl bettas could be housed together - three or four in a tank, with other community fish.

The boys could randomly be spread through the different tanks - matched with fish that would be compatible to each one ... So that people buying bettas from now on could realize that bettas don't HAVE to be alone, or in small tanks. - That there's a beauty to seeing them Swim freely, and that the interaction with others is possible if the tanks are big enough, and there are plenty of plants to allow the bettas to feel more comfortable with the other fish.

And for the bettas that are too territorial - then those can be in 1 gallon tanks at the ends of each aisle.

I'd definitely LOVE to shop at a place like this.

Then, shopping for bettas wouldn't be 'done' because of sympathy purchasing - (Ive done a LOT OF THAT) but rather because you see their beauty and want them as part of your tanks.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #19 
ScentedLove

Yeah I totally agree with you guys bettas are living things and should be treated with respect ;]
ScentedLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #20 
Kim

I was just daydreaming about the same idea the other day! I'd breed my own lines and sell them in an all specialty betta store. I'd carry every med under the sun so that people would have access to everything that they need should the urge to rescue a betta come about (that's like the story of my life lol). I'd also have tanks, heaters, filters, etc all geared toward bettas. My male bettas for sale would be in 1-2.5 gallon containers on racks with heating cable underneath so they would all stay warm. Female sibblings I'd probably keep together but I'd pull out the ones that are too aggressive. I'd also have TONS of info sheets. In fact, I'd put one on every shelf demonstrating the correct use of whatever is on that shelf and I'd have care sheets in about 5 locations and a huge poster explaining the aquarium cycle. I would only hire a few betta addicts like myself and I would advise them not to sell any fish to anyone who they didn't think would take care of them properly.

Ok, I'll stop rambling but it's just such a nice idea....I could totally be happy doing that for work!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote