Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #1 
Texansis

What is the longest lived Betta you've had?

Just curious ;)
When I originally got my female Betta, I was told they live 2 years...Well, Ms. Dory is going on nearly 4yrs now, so I'm curious...how long "can" they live????

Dory is one of the inhabitants of my newish 55gallon, along with a juvenile gourami, 5 peppered cory, and 5 dalmation molly (one of which is about 3/8ths inch big now).
Texansis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #2 
Matt

6 yrs. but it never moved.since it was to old and weak.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #3 
FDStation152

I had one going for 3 years that spent his life hopping his tank dividers to kill other males and periodically hopping into a guppy fry tank to eat his fair share. That fish was a beast. The cat I had at the time though took matters into its own paws one night however and that was the end of Monster. Whether the cat fished him out or he misjudged an attempt to get into another tank is open to debate. Over the course of his 3 years here he killed atleast 7 other males and cleared out untold numbers of young guppies. Something that should be kept in mind if you keep a betta in the same tank with fry (I believe you do Matt). He'll chomp em down if given the opportunity.
FDStation152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #4 
Texansis

Not to worry, I gave the fry tons of hiding places, and the Betta tends to stick the to top 1/4 of the tank and the fry sticks to the bottom with the corys.
Dory is an active 4yr old, but she doesn't mess with anyone else. A rather even natured Betta really.

Of course...there IS only one surviving fry, so...who knows?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #5 
FDStation152

I assure you that the betta will track down any fry small enough to get into his mouth given enough time. The hiding places will help but they have to come out to eat sooner or later. Once he notices them he probably wont stop chasing it til he manages to catch at eat it. I've seen a betta spend over an hour chasing one small fry around a tank. Eventually the small fry gets tired or cornered and the betta gets a snack.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:08 PM   #6 
blueblue48

assuming walmart (grrr i was new ok?!?!) sells them when there 1-2 years, thats what i heard, and ive had him for 3 years so hes either 4 or 5 and still very playful and active! i bet they can live real long if you take real good care of them and make sure they dont get any diseases.
blueblue48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 PM   #7 
Texansis

FD, I think it really depends on the fish. Dory has always lived in a community tank and never harrassed the other fish. Doesn't chase them at all. The only time I ever even saw her flare was the day I added the gourami. She flared once and now they are best buddies.

Doesn't mean she won't eat fry, but I think my little molly is big enough not to be interesting anymore.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #8 
FDStation152

you have one mighty calm betta then...same with the gourami. gouramis and bettas tend to fight one another and yours would be the only betta ive heard of that wouldnt take fry. I used to keep some guppies for no other purpose than to feed the fry to my bettas.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #9 
blueblue48

my betta is so docile i might be able to put him with another betta... but i would never take that chance. ive put him in a community tank and he didnt even mess with danios.
blueblue48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:02 AM   #10 
Melissa

My betta only lives 2 years, then died. i got him from petsmart, so who knows how old he really was.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote