Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #1 
dr2b

Torn tail or fin rot?

So I got my first fishy emergency (I was dreading this would happen eventually). I looked at Flair this afternoon and this is how his tail looked. I noticed him hanging around the intake filter tube A LOT today. He won't stay away from it! He keeps wrapping himself around it. I do not remember his tail looking like this when I went to bed last night. And my mom would have mentioned it to me if it did (he was flaring for her). This is a before and after picture of his tail. I don't have any aquarium salt, I got to go get some tomorrow before I go to work. I had to actually turn my filter off because he won't leave the tube alone.

Sorry these pictures are a little blurry... he wouldn't hold still.

Before:

After:

So I have never done salt baths. I am definitely going to go to your thread neenjar. But what is the best thing to do the salt bath in? A small hospital tank?

I don't think this is fin rot. I mean it happened so quickly...to quickly to be fin rot right?

Last edited by dr2b; 07-31-2009 at 05:02 PM.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #2 
dr2b

Oh, and he has been moping around today. He's been moping around this one corner plant for the past 24 hours. He'll swim around then go to this plant and rest. He is definitely not his perky self.

This is all happening 4 days before I am going out of town.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

It could be just from the filter intake. You can put a pantyhose sock around the intake to keep that from happening in the future.
Either way, I would treat the damaged fins as fin rot since it can turn into something worse if not.
I use a half gallon quarantine for the salts baths and put them back in their tank (or the hospital tank).
If you don't already have something like this, they sell little half gallons at walmart for $5.
Good luck, I hope his fins heal quickly!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #4 
dr2b

Do you think I should keep him in his main tank after the salt baths? I figure the water will be warmer... and doesn't warmer water help them heal?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Poor Flair! I hope the salt baths help and I definitely would get a piece of pantyhose for that intake.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #6 
neenjar

Since you are going out of town I would certainly use that main tank that you can heat, do a water change before you go and what AngelicScars said about the pantyhose over the filter inlet.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #7 
dr2b

I already covered the intake tube with panty hose so I could have my filter on. Synthisis is trying to hit Petco before he comes to visit to get aquarium salt and something like a critter keeper for the baths. I have my main tank usually at around a constant 78-80. I am hoping since I am off the whole weekend, Monday, and Tuesday...I can keep up with some salt baths so he will be mostly ok by the time I leave.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #8 
neenjar

Sounds like a good plan.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #9 
Synthisis

Its just been ragged by the filter tube. Not finrot hun.
Synthisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #10 
dr2b

I know that. But I couldn't tell when it first happened. He was hiding behind plants when it first happened.