Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #1 
sbrit94

Question Goldfish!!

So, a couple of my brothers goldfish have died. I was checking them out and I noticed a teeny-tiny little guy that I talked my brother into letting me have. I had an extra bowl. It's only 1 gallon ( don't kill me or start yelling at me saying they need at least 5 to 10 gallons. I already know that and I plan on getting one.) Thing is, my air pump won't work with an air stone so I was wondering if it would be ok to just put the air line into his bowl?

I'll upload a pic of him when I get the chance. I don't want to startle him too much.
sbrit94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #2 
Briz

It should be ok to put the air line in, the larger surface area created from the turbulence of the bubbles is what increases the amount of oxygen diffusion in to the water. You should make sure that you remove the air line before turning off the pump as a backflow of water will ruin it.

And for goldfish, the recommendation (similar to Betta enthusiasts recommending 1-2.5 gallons MINIMUM) is 30 gallons for the first fancy goldfish, and 15 gallons for each additional one. For common (comet) goldfish, the minimum is 55 gallons. Goldfish produce a lot more waste than other fish and can grow to large sizes, thus the large tank requirements. You can keep your goldie in a 10 gallon tank, but he will not thrive.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #3 
sbrit94

OK got some pics. I had to put him in a betta cup. He's a fast little guy(or girl)
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #4 
sbrit94

As you can see he's a little tiny guy, maybe an inch long and maybe about 1 cm wide (from dorsal to pelvic areas)
Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #5 
Briz

I believe that is a comet. I also came back to add that goldfish are shoaling fish, meaning that they do best in groups rather than alone.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 
sbrit94

I know he's a comet. He was oridinally sold a a comet goldfish labeled as a "feeder"

Maybe tomorrow I'll get another goldie from my brother. I don't want the poor little guy to be lonely.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #7 
sbrit94

If my bowl is too small for him would he be ok with a docile betta fish??
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

Great advice from Briz

I would not add more fish to the bowl, and would follow the stocking guide outlined by Briz. The fish being lonely should be the LEAST of your concerns.

There is no question that the bowl is too small for the goldfish to be kept in, except for short term.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #9 
Namialus

I think ponds are the best, unless you get a 20 gallon.. which would be OK for him, but not the best.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

I 100% agree with Briz, Comets need HUGE tanks. I ended up giving mine away he got so big. When he's bigger, the best thing to do would probably be giving him to someone with a pond :)
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote