Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #1 
itamag

Sponge filter too big?

Hey everyone! I got an air pump and a sponge filter recently, but now that I put the filter in the tank I've realized it's quite big in there. It takes a whole lot of space in the tank, and the outlet tube is high enough to rise above the water surface. Does the size of the sponge matter? Can it create a too much of a current? Does the outlet tube height affect the filter in any way?
Thank you! (I will post pics soon)
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #2 
rickey
Banned

Does the size of the sponge matter? sure I have sponge filters the size of small aquariums, does it affect performance no but it will not work any better that a smaller filter

Can it create a too much of a current? yes the more air you push the more water flow there will be.

Does the outlet tube height affect the filter in any way? yes and no When we use lift tubes outside we want the lift tube above the surface to add O2 and cool the ponds but you don't see this in an aquarium often.

R

Last edited by rickey; 11-02-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: sp
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #3 
itamag

Here's a picture
Attached Images

Last edited by itamag; 11-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #4 
itamag

I could really use some advice I want to plug the filter in but am afraid for my betta. Is it bad that the sponge is this size? Does it matter that the air outlet tube is high enough to get above water surface? My air pump is the right size for the tank. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #5 
rickey
Banned

Just cut the lift tube off.

R
Old 11-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #6 
itamag

And the sponge itself is not too big?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #7 
rickey
Banned

Well there's not a lot you can do about that short of replacement.

R
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

The sponge cultivates the benificial bacteria so that should not be a problem. What size tank is it? A hacksaw would cut it shorter but you need to be sure that the surface is filed very smooth so your betta won't hurt itself. The outlet needs to be low enough that that water reciruclates into the tank. If it's too high it won't rise above the pipe to go back into the water and it does no good. Sponge filters don't typically make too much current but they can be too noisy depending on the tank size. Put your ear on the tank when it's running this is what your betta is hearing. I have sponge filters that are too small if you are interested.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #9 
rickey
Banned

The size of the sponge has very little to do with it besides how much space it takes up in the aquarium. Has more to do with how much air you push through the filter than the physical size of the filter

Here is a DIY filter in a pond build out of 5 gallon bucket and pvc pipe notice the outlet is above the surface. If you can push a large volume air the tube could be on the second floor if that where you would like.

R
Old 11-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #10 
jadaBlu

Since I have mostly small tanks I have to put the pipe near water level because the air pump would not shoot water out like the filters you show. In most cases for a smaller tank to keep the current low for bettas I have to use air reduction valve to keep it from making too much water disturbance. The filter just produces bubbles at the surface.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote