Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #11 
Vikki81207

I can't get a pic. When i take one, her eye looks pretty much normal.
It doesn't look like this, it's really small. I don't know maybe I'm just being paranoid and it's the angle or something. But no meds have done anything.
It doesn't look like this

I think I'll just take her off the meds and keep an eye on her. And if it gets worse put her on something stronger. Because I've been treating her for almost a month with Melafix and I don't want to use that for much longer.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

It looks almost like a bubble formed over the eye.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #13 
Vikki81207

Yeah, but its super small, like it's only a little bigger than the other eye. So I think she's okay if meds haven't been doing anything.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #14 
AlexXx

Im just trying to keep the water clean, change ever day, ima add a bit of salt next change.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #15 
BakaMandy

I just noticed Aros has a bit of popeye to go along with his finrot, so I've just been treating him with Maracyn-two. I'm thinking of switching to Maracyn-Plus if I can find it though, since it says it kills the bacterial that cause both Fin Rot and Popeye while preventing reinfection... >.<

Last edited by BakaMandy; 09-11-2009 at 10:18 AM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #16 
AlexXx

MY CT's eye has yet to increase in size. I think its a good thing, but im still using metafix for the 7 days, to be safe.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #17 
JamieTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki81207 View Post
So I've been treating her with Melafix since the day I started this thread and it doesn't look like it's made a difference. It's just a little swollen and cloudyish. I was wondering if maybe she got a cataract and went blind in that eye? I just haven't noticed anything different. Should I try to get a pic?
I took a finfish health course last year and learned about this disorder (maybe I can help??), one of the common reasons for it is environmental.

Pop eye (exophthalmia) can be caused by excess nitrogen and sometimes other gases in your water, measuring ammonia is great, but nitrogen should be a concern as well. Too much nitrogen can cause gas bubbles to form behind the eye causing it to pop out. It is also the cause of gas bubble disease in fish. If you notice any small bubbles on your fishes body, you should change the water often to get rid of excess nitrogen.

There are some physics involved, you probably have learned before that if your water temperature is cooler it can hold more gases; however, if your temperature rises too fast these gases tend to dissolve out of the water quickly into the atmosphere where there is less gas, but there is also less of this gas in the tissues or blood of a fish! which can cause trouble in respiration and bubbles within a fishes tissues.

Now with that said it CAN also be caused by bacteria...or perhaps another disorder which prevents a fish form having poor gas exchange due to internal causes (not sure if that can be helped)

Overall I would recommend frequent water changes with your treatments, as I cannot be sure if you have a nitrogen or bacterial problem or perhaps even both.

I hope this kind of helps, I just remember some of Arctic Charr broodstock had some SERIOUS popeye it's not very nice is it :(

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Reference: Textbook of Fish Health by Dr. George Post

Last edited by JamieTron; 09-14-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: did not reference to my course book
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good info, Jamie!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #19 
Vikki81207

Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #20 
JamieTron