Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #1 
BlueBetta17

Exclamation Can fish get diseases from plants?

I have this plant that I got out of my friend's tank because I needed more greenery and she offered it to me. Her Betta that was in the tank recently died about three days ago from dropsy. I put the greenery pieces that she gave me in both of my 5gal tanks. I woke up this morning and my Betta is bloated and gasping for air a lot. He can't swim down - whenever he tries to he just floats back up. So I was wondering if he might've caught the parasite from her fish somehow through the greenery or if I might have just overfed my Betta. Thanks.
BlueBetta17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

It's very possible. Did you clean the plants beforehand? If not, take them out and I read in another forum that cleaning them with hydro peroxide will kill a lot of bacteria that can linger on plants.

I'd start treating for dropsy if that's the case...can you get a pic? I think that would help a lot in the diagnosis stage.
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #3 
BlueBetta17

Sorry I can't provide a pic, I think he is starting to fade as we speak. He went to the bathroom and it was really large. He isn't as bloated anymore but still can't dive and he is starting to float on his side a little more. The plants that I got came from my friend's tank and her Betta recently died. The plants have been in my tank for a day. Do you think anything that might be on them has spread in that timeline? I took the plants she gave me out, but I still have my own in there.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Dropsy is a symptom of a condition, that condition being a bacterial infection that could be caused by anything. It's very possible there was some bacteria on the plants. Quarantining plants for a week or so might seem silly but it may help next time.

Aside from the plants, did you do anything different? Alter the temperature, forget water conditioner, remove the heater etc? Also, I read on your other post that you only feed your guy every OTHER day? You might want to feed him several very small meals each day so he is not tempted to overeat.

The best thing you can do right now is treat him with Maracyn II if you have any on hand. Put him into a QT container and lower the water level to about an inch so he can easily reach the surface. Keep him as calm and warm as possible. In a separate container, mix one gallon of dechlorinated water and 3 tsps of epsom salt. When the salt has dissolved (or mostly dissolved) use that water in his QT container.

I'm sorry, I hope this info isn't too late. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #5 
BlueBetta17

He is still alive. He took an hour to go to the bathroom yesterday and it was rather large. His body isn't round anymore and looks normal. I'm pretty sure he has swim bladder. Can that be treated?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #6 
Sakura8

It can, yes. Is he struggling to stay upright or does he tip over on his side? Some bettas with SBD stay at the top and are unable to swim downward no matter how hard they try, others are stuck on the bottom and have to struggle like mad to reach the surface to breathe. Is he showing any of these symptoms?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #7 
newfiedragon

I think that it's very possible to spread illnesses with plants.

I bought two plants from Pets Unlimited a few months ago for two of my tanks and just rinsed them and put them in the tanks. Within a week, both fish were dead. The only thing that had changed in the tanks were the plants. And I will admit, I just wasn't observant and didn't notice my fish were sick in time. One of the fish did get dropsy, I'm not sure about the other one. I was absolutely devastated, and haven't bought a live plant since, except for a few marimo balls that I QT'd for two weeks or more.

I really hope your little guy gets better!
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Aww, I'm sorry you lost your two guys. :(
Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #9 
BlueBetta17

Sakura, he was showing these signs all day yesterday. His bloating has gone down a lot ever since he took that 1hr bathroom break yesterday. He is staying at the top a lot and trying to conserve his energy, but unlike yesterday, today he can dive again and remain at the bottom of the tank without floating up. Yesterday he was floating on the surface on his side and was having trouble turning. I don't know if he has swim bladder or was just constipated. So far, he is doing much better today.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Live plants can bring in pathogens, however, if the fish is healthy with a strong immune response and the tank has been properly cared for from the start....the Betta can usually fend these off....

You can run into problems by adding non-aquatic plants and as they start to rot and die they can pollute the tank or if improper lighting is used even true aquatic plant can rot polluting the water...especially if proper water changes are not being completed.....sometimes its not the plant per se......

How big is your tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, additives used, filter, tank mates, appetite, amount/type of food fed....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote