Assuming you're siphoning and not removing him, the stress is minimal. You're more stressed than he is. LoL
There may be waste in your substrate; don't let food or waste accumulate. You may be overfeeding. Cut back on his food; it won't hurt him.
Prime is your friend. You can safely let your ammonia rise to 0.25ppm as long as you're dosing Prime (2-drops/gal) every other day with a water change. Don't be afraid of large changes >50%.
What kind of filter are you using? What is your pH?
Fish-in cycling a 2g is a little finicky. You're being alert and attentive; keep at it. And keep the ammonia down.
Last edited by Hallyx; 09-27-2013 at 06:03 AM.