Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #1 
Rotten

Is this OK?

I'm a new fish owner, and recently got a male betta as a first fish. He is about 2 inches long, and I got a normal fish starter kit for him, as the betta tanks were TINY! As in, a fourth of a gallon. The tank I purchased is 1 US gallon.

My question is, is that OK? I feed him twice a day (as the food instructions say), test the water twice a week, and change 25 to 50 percent of the water every two days. He seems fine, and the local fish store said it was fine. I have two live plants, an under gravel filter, incandescent light bulb as a heater, and a marble in his tank. The water has some wierd white stuff in it occasionally, but it disappears eventually.

Here's the test results I got today:

Temp: About 74.6 degrees F (not Celsius!)
Ammonia: 0.25, before water change
Nitrites: 0, before water change
Nitrates: 0, before water change
PH: About 6.2
Hardness: 0
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 0

Is that fine?
Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Sounds like a great little home for a betta! In the future, you may want to upgrade to a 2 gallon tank, but he will be just fine in the one gallon for now.

Welcome to the forum!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #3 
ScentedLove

Welcome to the forum and your betta sounds happy however in the future its easier to maintain a 2.5 gallon and up.
ScentedLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #4 
Scienceluvr8

The home is fine, but the temperature seems a little low. Usually any temp below 76 degrees requires a heater, but as your tank being only a gallon there really isnt any for that size of tank. Maybe try relocating the tank to a warmer part of your room, away from vents but make sure it gets no direct sunlight= algae growth. But for the most part, everything seems good. Good Luck!
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #5 
Synthisis

Once your tank begins to cycle, its ok for your Nitrates to go up to 40, but no higher. Ideal is between 10-20
Synthisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #6 
Rotten

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

The temperature is a bit low, but the betta seems fine. It also went up recently for some reason, to 75.2.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #7 
Elena

Hello, and welcome! Congratulations on getting your first betta fish. If your ammonia reads 0.25 before the water change you may want to consider doing 100% water changes every 2-3 days, the reason being that you are eventually going to see it accumulate if only doing partial water changes. Even low ammonia levels for longer periods of time can stress a fish and cause disease. The goal is to have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates in an uncycled tank.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

sorry posted on wrong thread!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #9 
Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
Hello, and welcome! Congratulations on getting your first betta fish. If your ammonia reads 0.25 before the water change you may want to consider doing 100% water changes every 2-3 days, the reason being that you are eventually going to see it accumulate if only doing partial water changes. Even low ammonia levels for longer periods of time can stress a fish and cause disease. The goal is to have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates in an uncycled tank.
Thanks! But, how would one go along doing a 100% water change? You move them to another container, right?