Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #1 
Sparky

dont recommend this tank

I went to my local walmart and bought a small 3 gallon tank they had there for my new Betta the tank in itsself is just fine it is a 3 gallon tank with light and all but it comes with a rather large filter and when i installed it it was way too powerful for the small tank.....I know exta filtration is never a bad thing but this thing was so powerful it was leterally beating up my Betta poor thing couldn't even swim in there he was being thrown around like a rag doll so i had to go and buy a smaller filter for it now he is a happy camper
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #2 
fishyinpa

Oh that sucks. Ive seen some cool looking tanks but always worry about the filter speed. With Fishys tank I made a buffer with pantyhouse cause it was too strong for him. None of my others have filters,just bubbles. Scratch that,Pez has a filter but i can control the speed haha. My pandas have a very nice filter in their Marineland tank,but no way to control that flow and definetly not good for bettas. Very strong,but they love that lol. They have fun riding the current. Anywho.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #3 
Sparky

ok so it is ok not to have a filter with the Bettas?? I thought i had to. I have to go tomorrow to get the bigger tank for Prince so I can get one without a filter?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

Yup you dont need one. Its really if you wanna cycle the tank. As long as you keep up with wcs,betta will be a-okay. You can buy bubbles for them though. They have them at wally world and pet stores. Just remember to get a check valve so you can control it lol.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #5 
Sparky

ok so i can afford a bigger tank if i dont have to do a filter.....right now im upset because Lenny's tank has gone all cloudy it has been up for 2 days is that normal and how often do you do water changes on yor kids??
Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #6 
fishyinpa

oh cloudy already hmmm...yep bigger tank. Not sure on the cloudy tank thing...but as for my fishies, I do a 50% twice a week then a 100% once a month for the ones without filters. Fishy and Pandas are the only cycled tanks.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #7 
Sparky

well I think tomorrow when I get home from work im just gonna change all his water and see if that works. I want to make sur he is happy..... Im used to tropical fish in big tanks Im afraid im lost as to what to do with these little tanks but i will learn quickly hoping to get som nice pics tomorrow so you can see how pretty they are
Old 08-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #8 
fishyinpa

Sounds good. I just read online here that doing wcs can help with cloudy water. Its a bacterial bloom,it can happen with new tanks. So yeah do a wc,should help. Ah okay,I started with small tanks lol. Back in the day we had a big tank with goldfish and whatnot,but that was many many moons ago so I dont remember nothing from then.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #9 
Sparky

ya I will do that tomorrow he is swimmin around nicely so I think he is doing ok. Im just a big ole worry wart i guess. how much do you feed? Lenny acts like he is always hungry but i do not want to overdo it with him
Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #10 
fishyinpa

Haha,yes bettas are beggars. Some feed twice a day,some once a day. I do once a day. 4 pellets should do it. of course a fasting day as well.