redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #22 
Mo

What is a mod intervention? Lol
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #23 
beautiful Betta

when a moderator steps in to remind everyone to play nice, lol

I do think it was a little rude of redthebetta to criticise someone else's comments and grammer, spelling, when they were only trying to advise on their personal experience. Everyone has different ways of expressing themselves. :) Not trying to be nasty but just observation if the fish in redthebetta avatar is still in that condition I would think twice about breeding.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #24 
Mo

Oh, thank you for telling me that! I didn't understand it at first.

Also I don't think RTB is going to start breeding immediately I think s/he is just planning, thinking and learning about breeding right now... I guess s/he's sorta just wondering if s/he should breed and what s/he should breed, just wondering if it'd be a good color to breed in the future when they get around to breeding.. At least that's what I'm just assuming I could be totally wrong
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #25 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Oh, thank you for telling me that! I didn't understand it at first.

Also I don't think RTB is going to start breeding immediately I think s/he is just planning, thinking and learning about breeding right now... I guess s/he's sorta just wondering if s/he should breed and what s/he should breed, just wondering if it'd be a good color to breed in the future when they get around to breeding.. At least that's what I'm just assuming I could be totally wrong
your welcome, I don't know, but one of the big things for Redthebetta seems to be money, (I could be wrong) and personally I think if you are going into breeding it should be about the hobby and the enjoyment of it. Not for financial gain. If someone really wants to get into breeding for the love of the fish then why not start of with normal veil tails and not be so concerned about rare colours and what money you can get for them, they actually have to survive before you can sell them. With anything the rarer the mutation the more difficult it is to breed and raise.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #26 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

There is a good reason people don't breed veiltails, and it has to do with more then the money... Vts are abundant and difficult to sell, and it isn't very smart to breed 100 more when there are already 100's dying on the shelf.

I do agree that money should never be a motivating factor when breeding anything... It can lead to dubious practices (fin cutting, mass culls...) and other things that are more selfish, and less about the fish. (That was a broad statement, not saying RTB would ever be like that).

Last edited by MattsBettas; 09-26-2013 at 08:39 PM.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #27 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
There is a good reason people don't breed veiltails, and it has to do with more then the money... Vts are abundant and difficult to sell, and it isn't very smart to breed 100 more when there are already 100's dying on the shelf.

I do agree that money should never be a motivating factor when breeding anything... It can lead to dubious practices (fin cutting, mass culls...) and other things that are more selfish, and less about the fish. (That was a broad statement, not saying RTB would ever be like that).
I can see what you are saying Matt, fin cutting you are not saying what I think you are? I have never heard of that term.

going back to RTB selling the fish though, RTB basically said the people s/he will sell to will pay anything and haven't really got a clue anyway, lol.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #28 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Fin cutting is exactly what is sounds like... There's a breeder in Canada who some love and some (like I) don't like who cuts his halfmoons fins before they go in the spawn tank to "make their job easier". Right. That's why so many hobbyists don't have any success when they don't trim their males fins... Lol.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #29 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Fin cutting is exactly what is sounds like... There's a breeder in Canada who some love and some (like I) don't like who cuts his halfmoons fins before they go in the spawn tank to "make their job easier". Right. That's why so many hobbyists don't have any success when they don't trim their males fins... Lol.
oh my god that's just awful. You would think it would hinder them if they were in discomfort, I know some people say fish don't really have a sense of pain, I have no idea if that is true or not, but still it is cruel. originally though I was thinking the big chain stores perhaps cut the fins to make them look a different shape and then sell them as a different breed.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #30 
Myates

Mod alert!!!

Yes, please play nice everyone.. we are here to learn and share our experiences. We aren't in grade school (well, most of us aren't) and do not need to be told how to spell correctly. Some of us just don't.. and that's okay.

I actually work with turquoise, and just spawned another HM double tail pair of them today as a matter of fact.. took them less than three hours to get going lol.

Now, it honestly isn't more work than most other tails.. ALL fin types need to have daily flaring exercises.. the CTs need a 180 spread, the HMPKs need a 180 spread, the HMs need a 180.. all the combination of all of those together (CTHMPK, etc) need a 180 spread. VTs need a proper spread, regular plakats need a wide spread, and so forth. They all require the same exercise and not just for the spreads.

They all require the same water except CTs who require a bit softer water to keep their rays straight. Other than that, ALL need the best water conditions possible to keep them healthy.

So all in all, breed what you want as they all require the same care and same money. To be able to pinpoint to the cent how much it is to keep one fish is not accurate.. they all need the same kind of food, the same amount of food.. the same temperature of water, same water conditions, etc.. There is no difference in price, the only time there is a difference in price is if the breeder is not properly caring for all of them.

In order to break even within the first couple of years breeding you will have to produce such high high quality of fish, and breed a TON. Don't ever go into breeding bettas thinking about bringing in money. Three + months of work, hours a day spent in caring for them, money spent on food, water, electricity, containers adds up to more than what you will get back for the fish - an example would be spend roughly $50 to raise a single fish to age for selling (to make sure they are mature.. money and time).. and sell it (if you are lucky) for $15.

People who are in it for the money are quickly seen that way among hobbyists and other breeders and they honestly won't get as many sales as someone who is in it for the betterment of the species, etc. People who are willing to spend the money for the fish and shipping would rather get quality fish over someone who mass produces in order to try to recoup some of the money they lost raising the fish.. you can see the difference between a breeder who does it for money, and one who does it for the love of the hobby.. you can see it in their fish. Look on AB - you will see those "meh" looking ones for less than $10.. people will have a lot of posts for fish of that price.. and they are.. bland looking.. but you see a very pretty fish going for $25 then you know that person spent time and money into caring for their stock and such. Yes, we all have culls, but if that is all the breeder sells, it makes you think. Just keep in mind most buyers who have the money to spend know what to look for in a breeder and they gossip. Fast. It's very dramatic out there in the betta breeding world..

So I recommend if you are to get into this hobby then I would do it how you want - get the fin types and colors you want.. you want to do turquoise, do it. A TRUE turquoise is rare to find... there are mixes and some that look like it, but are not true ones. Only a few breeders can actually produce a true turquoise. I call some of mine that, but I know they need work - their mothers are from one of the best breeders in the world, and one of the very few who can do turquoise.. but even still I'm getting too many mixes. Keep that in mind too.. you want a certain color, but you'll end up with all different sorts unless you know the genetics.

So breed what you like.. you're the one who will spend thousands on this hobby, spend hours a day, spend money each month on it and take up a lot of space. Do it because you are passionate about the fish.. if not then you will end up frustrated, bitter and give up and lose out on a lot of money in the end.

Last edited by Myates; 09-26-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote