Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #31 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Fin cutting is exactly what is sounds like... There's a breeder in Canada who some love and some (like I) don't like who cuts his halfmoons fins before they go in the spawn tank to "make their job easier". Right. That's why so many hobbyists don't have any success when they don't trim their males fins... Lol.
I know who you are talking about.. I left his group a while ago.. he's one of the types who thinks he is all that, is the best, yadda yadda yadda.. no surprise he is blacklisted by many breeders and groups lol. I used to fight him on the fin cutting thing.. how come I get a spawn of 600 fry without cutting their fins? How come I get all of mine to spawn anywhere from 3-24 hrs after introduction all the time without cutting their fins?

Silly EB...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #32 
Ilikebutterflies

I think when a potential breeder is still asking questions regarding incompatible tail types and colors, common colors vs rare colors as well as not knowing the color layers or Punnett square genetics we don't even have to argue the point of getting $20 for whatever pops put of a spawn.
Literally less than one hour of reading up on the subject will answer all of those questions.

As far as HM water goes? That's news to me. Clean water is clean water. It is true that HM require the water STAY clean whereas other fin types are more forgiving on water quality but I don't think they need special drinking water. They do require daily exercise for fin development...but then again HMPK do as well.

To add insult to injury, this is a fish forum and not an English grammar class. Sorry but that is a pet peeve of mine and this isn't the first person to pop off about English or grammar when they don't have anything to add to the conversation. It is a very pompous thing to do meant to make others feel stupid for having a different opinion or questioning something. Grrrr
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #33 
dramaqueen
Banned

To add to what Myates said: let's be respectful of the opinions of others and as Ilikebutterflies said, we aren't here to judge someone's grammar. We have members who come from other countries and English is not their first language so let's not be judgemental. Let's get back on topic.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #34 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

A+ to what DQ said !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #35 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with what Mo said. I looked at RTB 's first post and he/she said they were thinking about spawning so we shouldn't assume that he/she was going to do it now. If you ask any serious breeders they'll tell you that they've made very little if any money breeding bettas. They do it because of their love for the fish. Also, when you breed you're helping to bring new life into this world. They need to be fed properly, housed properly and you have to find homes for them. And you have to have proper food for them. They cannot eat adullt food. Red, I'm not aiming this at you but to all who want to breed and think they can just crush up flakes and feed the fry that. So it takes a lot of preparation and hard work. Just my 2 cents. Lol
Old 09-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #36 
Chachi

We need to remember that English isn't a primary language for some who come on message boards as well...
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #37 
veggiegirl

Yeah and we need to remember why we come together on this forum in the first place, because we love bettas! grammer doesn't really come into it.......
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #38 
redthebetta

Ok, ok. Sorry to curly. I was having a depressing day full of being bullied and thus, my fuse was kind of short. I was kidding about the $20 and I will actually sell them for way less. Money is not a huge thing to me, I would like to earn a bit so that I can get more tanks and bettas but I would give them away for free to people here if they were I'm driving distance. I was going to bred VTs and not care about the money, if 30 people told me they wanted them and would only pay $5 than, I would be ok with that. VTs are hard to home or so won't breed them.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #39 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can understand about having a bad day. We all have them. :) And I understand about wanting to make some money. Take your time,gather your supplies and make sure you have the time to breed. There's no hurry. You're young and you have your whole life ahead of you with plenty of time for breeding. :)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #40 
bambijarvis

My only real "warning" when breeding HM's, especially with new breeders, is to not expect 100% HM offspring. You'll be getting deltas and superdeltas in likely far higher numbers than HM's.
This is just a general thing though.
My first spawn was HM's and their care wasn't a whole lot different other than taking the time to flare the jarred males to stretch their fins.

For the color choice, Turquoise, I'd say try to get a pair from a breeder who's been working with solids. Avoid red wash and such.

I don't show, so I pic based on what's attractive.
These aren't exactly turquoise, but Martinismommy is a great breeder and her lines are show-proven. She has an auction up for 2 pairs(2 males, 2 females).
Her fish are always lovely and if I had the $50 for them I'd buy them myself.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote