Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #11 
Namialus
Member
 
Namialus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I shudder at the thought of drip systems... I've watched to many fish die from them to ever even consider it. That's my take on it... If you are going to use it, be careful.

The fish that died had no symptoms- internal (I performed a necropsy), external, or behavioral. Over a period of a couple of weeks they just began to drop dead... I can only assume that it was compounds from the plastic breaking down.

Putting zebra danios in a one gallon container is not a good idea...
"Plastic breaking down" - but what about people who use filter baffles?
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team
 
MattsBettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
*huff*

"Plastic" is a very broad term. Generally, plastics can be classified into seven different types... 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7... It's usually on most plastic containers.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  38.2 KB
They all break down differently.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #13 
DerangedUnicorn
Member
 
DerangedUnicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: University Park, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I shudder at the thought of drip systems... I've watched to many fish die from them to ever even consider it. That's my take on it... If you are going to use it, be careful.

The fish that died had no symptoms- internal (I performed a necropsy), external, or behavioral. Over a period of a couple of weeks they just began to drop dead... I can only assume that it was compounds from the plastic breaking down.

Putting zebra danios in a one gallon container is not a good idea...
What is a drip system, if you don't mind me asking.
DerangedUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #14 
Bucknc1
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kannapolis, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedUnicorn View Post
What is a drip system, if you don't mind me asking.
http://youtu.be/6q3khz1Ee1Q

I hope that link works. If not just youtube betta drip system, and there's plenty of videos out there. The concern on using drip systems I believe is that the drip lines can hold and grow bad fungus and bacteria, and if one fish gets sick in the system, they all have the chance of getting it. Kind of like a community tank with a wet dry filter or canister filter.
Bucknc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #15 
Blue Fish
Member
 
Blue Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
When I use the spring water containers for QT I floated them in a larger tank with a heater...would that possibly work for this project as well?
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #16 
Bucknc1
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kannapolis, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
*huff*

"Plastic" is a very broad term. Generally, plastics can be classified into seven different types... 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7... It's usually on most plastic containers.
Attachment 215794
They all break down differently.
These containers are marked with a 1, from doing some research, 1 is said not to leach, and it's what is also used in bottled water. Next step is to put a fish in it and try it I guess.
Bucknc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
containers, jars

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Betta Jar Water Chemistry MrWynO14 Betta Fish Care 0 12-23-2011 06:09 PM
Betta in a baby jar (craft) LittleNibbles93 Betta Art 10 06-08-2011 12:54 AM
Betta tank with a jar? Bettas are Betta Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 14 08-19-2010 09:09 PM
Is it his jar? MrVampire181 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 7 08-14-2009 09:56 PM
Betta In a Quart Jar? cjz722c Betta Fish Care 3 07-06-2007 07:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.