Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #1 
BakaMandy

Gel-tek medicines

So I bought Shota some Gel-tek penicillin for his fin rot... but he won't eat it. Well he takes a nibble now and then but generally doesn't go anywhere near it. I'm sure if he gets hungry enough he might eat it properly xD

But my question is should I take out the uneaten drops of medicine? So far I've been treating it like normal food and if he doesn't try and eat it withing a minute or so, I take it out with a pipette before it dissolves.

But I don't think he's receiving any medicine this way and there are no instructions on the bottle to say if it's okay to leave it in or not, so I don't know :S.

I know there are people who use Gel-tek medicines here, I just wanted to ask your opinion :) Thank you!
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

The medicine is in a food form?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #3 
Scienceluvr8

I've seen that at petshops but I've never used it though, you should try searching for it on the web or something
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was going to order some from Petmountain but I couldn't see paying a big shipping fee for one item that cost a lot less than the shipping fee.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #5 
rb500

Sounds like either way its not too good for the food-meds to be left in there too long. maybe a little later than normal food though to give him time to eat it. Also, you could feed it to him the day after his fast day so that he is hungrier.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #6 
BakaMandy

Yeah, it's in a bottle in a kinda liquid-gel like form. You kinda squeeze it out in drops and it'll usually sink or float. It dissolves in a couple of minutes though D:

I've been reading around and some people soak their food (like bloodworms) in the medicine... but it seems like the instructions say not to feed it anything else but the medicine... so I don't know :S if it'll get him to eat the medicine, I wonder if I should try?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

If he's supposed to actually ingest the medicine, I would try soaking his food in it. I don't think he's going to eat drops of gel by itself.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #8 
Wed

i just bought this too!

the guy recommended me to get the pallets i feed him and let them soak into a couple of drops of the penicillen. it works! i usually get a lid of something like a tupperware and place the pallets on it then squeez a drop or 2 until they are able to soak and leave it for 5 mins then feed them to him.
Wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #9 
Scienceluvr8

That sounds like a good idea, maybe you should try that method
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #10 
BakaMandy

I tried soaking it in food =_= he ate it at first but spat it out a few minutes later... so it didn't work...

But I also JUST noticed that the medicine is due to expire next month 8| I wonder if that is a contributing factor...

... stupid aquarium store.