Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #1 
sharon

soon to be owner

Im going to get my first betta in oct, I have got a 4 gall baby biorb, with a reduced flow airline and filter, a micro heater(set to 78 a nice center decor(with the plastic plants replaced with silk) nice smooth pebbles,he?she? will have it to his?her?self,I may cycle it from my other 60 gal tank or fish less cycle,am waiting until holiday to las vegas is over,crowntails and combtails are more common here than any other type but most stores only stock one or two at a time,I have read myself dizzy and scoured the net for information having made my fishy mistakes years ago with my cichlid tank and am determined not to repeat this with my bettas,possible names are shushi,sensi,snapdragon and yakuso(will depend on the actual fish),any tips or suggestions will be appreciated, do they need a shell or cup to sleep in?
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

You might want to get some plants and a cave or some kind of decoration for him to sleep/hide in.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I agree with dramaqueen. Cave with no sharp edges.

Sounds like you're going to have one lucy Betta :)
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #4 
sharon

the center decor is like a vertical tunnel,but it has plastic plants which my fish guy(who I have trusted for years says it will be fine but I am thinking of cutting them off and replacing with silk, what do you think, is that really nessercery? and iv just put an espresso cup in as a sleeping place(faces the wall so he wont be disturbed) I just cant wait, have got a lot of information from this site

Last edited by sharon; 08-19-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #5 
Jynx

If you get a male with long fins you might want to switch to silk. If he's the type to get stuck in plastic plants they can do a lot of damage really quick. The damaged fins will get infected and make the water dirty. Its a mess. Since you already have a nice setup going I'd just finish with some silk or real plants and avoid that whole stuck in plastic plants scenario.

Also I love the look of ceramic pots and mugs as caves- you can get one in a color that matches your home to tie everything together and there are no pokey bits or sharp edges to catch on your fish. Like this-
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....706#post229706

Last edited by Jynx; 08-19-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #6 
Kim

Hehe...thanks for the link to my tanks :)

Your setup sounds great! I would probably go with the silk plants just to be cautious. Also I have one thing to add about pots and caves. If you are going to go with cups or pots of some sort make sure that they are aquarium safe. Do not use any ceramics with glaze, plastics not sold as "aquarium safe" as they may leach, and if you go with glass make sure that it is not crystal as some has lead in it. The only things that I will put in my tank are terra-cotta pots and glass cups. I made the mistake of putting in some pottery once and it leached toxins into my water and I almost lost my fish. The thing is that you can't test for any of these harmful substances so you won't know until it affects your fish. I just thought I'd put that out there because I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone else and it seems that there's not much info on this issue on the web.

BTW, you are going to have one lucky betta! Please post pics once you get everything set up :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good advice about the pottery, Kim.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Check out my site: www.ibetta.webs.com
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #9 
sharon

thanks, will find a small clay pot and replace plastic plants with silk, also as Im not geting my fish untill oct I might just blob aquatic silicone over any rough bits on the decor although its pretty smooth anyhow, I saw a betta at pets at home that I had to point out to the staff as it had mouth fungus,(also there was 1 dead fish and another that dident look too good) she said "really" next day she said it had died(proberbaly flushed) but all the other fish in the tank was still for sale, no quarritine or anything to indicate treatment, I walked out ,then turned back around and spoke to the manager and told him that if it took a customer to point that out, then he wasent much of a manager either!!!thats it, I will never buy from that shop again(pity really as when I got the tank, I got a 5 voucher for fish)
Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 AM   #10 
sharon

disaster!!!!I was checking out my tank, you know, how it was looking, it is empty just now ,awaiting my new betta, when I saw a crack, it definitely didn't have one when I bought it, I think someone has lifted the bread bin lid off and hit the tank, being careless, of course everyone denied doing it ,(2 teenagers and a husband,) so i rang the shop and said that it was like that when I unpacked it, they replaced it right away, thank god it was empty of water and fish, I have rearranged my whole kitchen to find a safer place for it, Im so glad I decided to wait until after my holiday before getting my fish, can you imagine if that had happened while i was away and had put my fish in !!!!