Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #1 
fishyinpa

Vacation and paranoid about my fishies

So my dad and I are going to take a trip to Ohio in a few weeks. Itll be for like 4-5 days. I am super paranoid after what happened during my hospital stay. Only one who will be here is my mom. She can feed my fish (though they should be okay without??) but other than that,she doesnt know how to change water or anything. Last time her outlet went bad and elvis' water got very cold,well ya know what happened to him. So I am just...afraid..to come home to dead or dying fish. I will call her everyday of course to see how all my critters are. But if any get sick or are acting funny,she wont be able to do anything for them. I hope they all will be okay and nothing happens.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #2 
Jynx

awww- i hope nothing happens to them.
A healthy fish can go for a week without food with no real problems- so if you're very afraid of overfeeding just tell her not to feed. I was really careful to show my grandfather how much to give Lulu- but i also told him if he wasn't sure about it that she's ok without food for the weekends i'm gone.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #3 
ScentedLove

I hope they will be okay and I think it will go great hopefully *crosses fingers* =] Have a great vacation!
ScentedLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

Thanks guys! Nah,they have tanks. Smallest tank I have one in is a 2.5. Biggest tank I have onein is a 10.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Ugh!! I know how you feel!! I'm sure they'll be ok for 4-5 days. They'll be in clean water and they'll be fed. Yes, they CAN go without food but if your mom is feeding them then you don't have to worry about that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #6 
Vikki81207

I know how you feel too. Just hope for the best. They will be okay.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #7 
Jynx

When I got back from this last trip to San Diego late last night- I checked on Lulu and nearly had a heart attack because for a minute it looked like she had fungus- but it was just the way the light bounced off her stummy. She was actually fine :P
Though it looks like her plants didn't like having the window shade down for 3 days- I'll have to start asking grampa to leave the shade up during the day.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #8 
fishyinpa

Ah. Well just fake plants here lol. So no worries. Yeah I think I will make a list for Mom to feed who what and when lol. I have lots of other animals besides my fish,so she will be busy.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #9 
Shawtee

So im guessing you have bottles out there, if you really need to do a water changed, measure and prepare the water for her before you leave, and tell her how many bottles she needs to take out of the existing tank!
*before adding your measured waters, would also be a good idea to lable the buckets and bottles etc! anddddd um, i take it you use heaters? just make sure she has them in the tanks. sure it would be ok!

Hope you have a nice break x

Last edited by Shawtee; 08-17-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Missed soemthing
Shawtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #10 
fishyinpa

Good idea. I will do water changes before I leave though,so they should be fine in that regard for a week.