Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #21 
PetMania

I love the variety of snails you have in your tank. That's my goal for my 10gal
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #22 
Huffle Puffles

Really beautiful tank and pictures! :) I agree with PetMania, very nice snail collection!
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #23 
Quinn

Thanks! I do love my snails! In the pics its all just Mystery, but I have MTS and Ramshorn too (and pond snail babies apparently that I've been squishing, don't want an overload of them) now. The one adult pink ram I got has already been laying a ton of eggs in the 6.6gal. I have at least one growing baby pink in the 10, and I think I saw another colored ram too.
The Mystery snails are by far my favorite (maybe even over the fish - shhhh!), they just crack me up with their movements and behaviors, and I think they are really cute, in that weird snaily way!

My shrimp are still in hiding. I've seen a cherry or two pop out for a minute, but not for long. I hope they are at least getting enough food and such. I'm really surprised that the Amano have taken to hiding though, they had been out and about and standing their ground, so (STILL UNNAMED) DT boy wasn't bothering them. Does anyone think that larger groups would make them more secure? I really want them, boohoo.

And my Java Ferns in the 6.6 have been sprouting new growth and one of them has produced a good chunk of baby ferns, and yesterday I noticed they were ready to fly the nest and I tossed them in the other tank, so hopefully they will thrive in my 10 gal, as I had no fern in there yet. They are so tiny and cute. (cute plants?)
I was still trying to wait for some plants to adapt to my tank before taking more pictures, but its changed around again since the last pictures. As things grow in I keep having the urge to move them around! I think my changes have been for the better so far though! Hah
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #24 
Quinn

Not much new to report. My baby, who isn't really a baby anymore, hasn't undergone anymore color changes at this point. He did either tear or take a chunk out of his dorsal for some reason(I'm leaning toward the latter). He hasn't killed any of the shrimp lately, so that's a plus, but they still don't venture out much. I feel like an idiot because I unplugged his heater yesterday while trimming/replanting some things and forgot to plug it back in. It was so cold over night and today, when I finally realized that I hadn't plugged it in the temp had dropped to almost 70 from around 80. Really hope I don't see any ill effects from this :(
I moved my Nerite over to the 6.6 gal, and put some shrimp in there. I wanted to see how Pinkman would treat them. Shrimp are in hiding over there too. These damn bullies! Pinkman is so funny to watch with the snails though, putting on such a show. He doesn't attack the bigger guys, though he has been ripping off all the egg sacs the Ramshorn leaves on the plants, and I think eats smaller ones. I had one or two clutches that hatched, but I haven't seen any of the babies, save for two that I saw a few days ago. They may just be well hidden, but I'm not too hopeful. Anyway, the show he puts on trying to scare off the big scary snails is too funny. He swims sideways, flared up, trying to get as close as possible to them when they are on leaves or on the wall. Circles around and around them and seems SO irate that they don't give him anything back. Too funny.
And so here is a photo dump. Some crappy quality pictures of Pinkman flaring, but to be fair he's impossible to get shots of, he flees as soon as I pull out my phone. So at least he was somewhat occupied by the snails and I got some rushed pics. And then my little snail and shrimp friends.

Pinkman

"I'll show you you eeeevvviiilll pink ramshorn!"

Not the best picture of it, but Pinkman made quite the stacked bubblenest

MTS, RCS, and Amano shrimp sharing a meal

Agent Dunham with her Cherry friends, one of whom is airing out her little eggies! It's bittersweet, I don't expect them to survive. Half considering making the 10 an all invert tank and having the boys share the 6!

Agent Dunham napped hanging like this for a few hours. I love this darn snail.

The whole Mystery Family-
Sleeping together

Dining together

Plus Ram

Then the Ram hitched a ride...

To the next meal!

I honestly think I like the Mystery snails best of all the aquatic beings. They are so comical and interesting! The shrimp are really funny to, when they aren't hiding and use the whole tank. Really makes me want to reconsider my set ups, but I dunno. I love the idea of having a little of everything in each tank. This seems to be the bane of owning Bettas...
Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #25 
twolovers101

I love your dark foot guy :) and I'm falling in love with my mysteries also lol they're just so funny.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #26 
Quinn

Thanks twolovers. She goes by a few names. She was supposed to be Fauxlivia (TV show - Fringe - reference) but she is also frequently dubbed "the Death Star" per my boyfriend. Agent Dunham, the large light foot gal, was my first, and I thought she had gotten so big but then I got the other 3 from peachii on here, she told me she was sending me an adult dark foot, but I was still shocked to see how big she was. Haha. And so much clunkier and monstrous. She's sort of like the well meaning giant who accidentally squishes everything around him... Hopefully the other 3 retain their grace as they age, because I'm already having a hard time keeping up with replanting everything she uproots when she rampages around the tank
Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #27 
Huffle Puffles

LOL. I love how Pinkman flares at the little pink Ram. hehehe. I seriously still have snail envy over here, they're all so cute!
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #28 
Quinn

Get yourself some snailies! They rock! All of my snails came from peachii on here.

Pinkman now has it in for the Nerite even more then the Ram. I'm wondering if he's going to flare to much and injure himself somehow... But then again the stimulation is probably good, and he's more active when he has to keep his tank safe from the evil snails!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #29 
BettaLover1313

You have very handsome bettas! I love your snail collection! I think that I would get some if I wasn't afraid of my grumpy betta killing them and my gluttonous betta doing the same >.<
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #30 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Thanks twolovers. She goes by a few names. She was supposed to be Fauxlivia (TV show - Fringe - reference) but she is also frequently dubbed "the Death Star" per my boyfriend. Agent Dunham, the large light foot gal, was my first, and I thought she had gotten so big but then I got the other 3 from peachii on here, she told me she was sending me an adult dark foot, but I was still shocked to see how big she was. Haha. And so much clunkier and monstrous. She's sort of like the well meaning giant who accidentally squishes everything around him... Hopefully the other 3 retain their grace as they age, because I'm already having a hard time keeping up with replanting everything she uproots when she rampages around the tank
Haha, my larger snail (can't tell gender lol) uproots things too, it gets a bit frustrating. He/she is definitely NOT graceful. The smaller one I have actually fell while trying to stretch to another plant that was just out of reach. It was super funny to watch though ^^

PS mine are from Peachii too :) They're siblings! xD Maybe clunky-ness is genetic? LOL
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote