Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #41 
BettaLover1313

Very sorry to hear about the snails; your tanks are looking awesome!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #42 
Quinn

Thanks Bettalover! These pics were right after planting a good week or two ago, so they have all both grown and had losses with melting and such. I sort of want to ramp up my lighting, I feel like my colored plants aren't colored enough!
And Huff that's really sweet! I'm glad that my minions inspired you. Your snails look great too!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #43 
Quinn

So I SHOULD be stopping by the petstore today to nab a thermometer (took me long enough! I keep forgetting). And, provided the water in there tests okay today I'll move Bauer in. Which I'm hoping it should, its been running for like 20 days now, and the snails in there haven't complained at all, though I was very bad and haven't actually tested it since setting it up... It's just been so busy with the holidays and all that water changes were hard enough as is! I also haven't tested my other tanks this month, VERY BAD! Actually I think I did use the last of the crappo test strips I bought, but they don't read ammonia. Regardless since setting up my planted tanks I've only gotten one light ammonia reading on the 10, and a few on the 6.6 long. None of the creatures seem distressed or unhealthy. I'm not worried. I think I've planted heavily enough to have a "silent cycle".

And I definitely have to do some trimming, especially in the new 6.6 NPT, the cabomba is really growing fast, with my limno not far behind. The rotala has a good deal of new (very green - uhoh) growth as well. Suddenly my crypts are looking very snail bitten, in all of my tanks, so I'm not liking that. The ludwigia also seems to have been having a bit of a time adjusting, lost a lot of leaves, but there is new growth, so hopefully I'll just cut off the leggy bottom stems and hope they do well. The dwarf baby tears and micro sword KEEP GETTING UPROOTED, and its driving me insane! I really wanted them to do well, damn snails must be doing it. The baby tears are so hard to plant, I should have just gotten it matted! Maybe I'll have to do another order.

I recently made a crazy tinfoil hood for the 6.6long in the hopes it will reflect the light better (and also not be as blinding when i stare at the tank - its got 2 lamps over it), as well as put tinfoil on the backing. I lined the inside of the 10 gallon hood with foil too. So hopefully this will help bring out the colors more in my plants. I SHOULD have enough lighting, I've heard of many successes with the light that I have and plants I have, I just feel like I'm not getting the colors unless its at the top of the water line. Maybe I need to dose iron?

And for the creatures: The shrimpies are all doing well, and I see juvies frequently, so I know they have been breeding! That makes me happy. I found one lone RCS who I had assumed dead in Pinkman's tank, I wasn't able to catch him when moving the others out, and then I figured I accidentally buried him when redoing the tank. I only found him because I spotted a molt and set out a search. He's made home in a tiny space under the driftwood. Pinkman was a bit too bullish, so I'm not sure if I want to add more shrimp back, or somehow manage to catch this little bugger and put him in the 10... I'd still like to see more, the 10 gallon looks so empty! Still want my Mysterys back, so I want warmer weather! I've been considering adding another fish species into the 10 when I move Bauer, something that will be of minimal risk to my shrimp. I have been thinking about some corydoras, probably pygmy as I think they are SO CUTE, but not sure they can deal with floramax? I posted this and a few other questions in the other fish section, would really appreciate some help!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #44 
Quinn

So I moved Mr. Bauer into the NPT today. It's been set up for 3 weeks running with just the snailies. It tested well, will see if Bauer's addition starts a spike or if it was just planted heavily enough from the get go(or the gravel from the other tank seeded the cycle).
But then I thought I saw (what I am guessing is) a LEECH! EWWWW. FREAKING OUT. I went to try to get my turkey baster to try to suck him out, but he must have went under the gravel. Now I'm panicking and researching leeches. It's always something. I give up :(
Old 01-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #45 
Quinn

Not much to report. Will be getting some pygmy cories and mystery snails when its not SO FRIGGIN COLD!!! Just gonna throw up a bunch of pathetic phone pics of the inhabitants and such.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #46 
Quinn

Oh, right. And inspired by Huffle Puffles I said I would post some pics of one of my puppers playing in the snow we got the other week.

Yeah that boy right there is what it is all about folks! Love that beast!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #47 
annyann

Just wanted to say I love your tank!! Your plants look great and I really like the look of your substrate. Your Betta boy is a handsome guy to.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #48 
Huffle Puffles

YAY! I LOVE the pics!! He's a handsome boy for sure. The photo where he looks like he's about to pounce the ball is adorable. :D Oh yea and the collar/skull tag is awesome. Thanks for sharing! :) :)
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #49 
logisticsguy

Your tank looks great very nice plants too. I love your dog what a beautiful big boy!
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #50 
BettaLover1313

Great Dane?! Oh my gosh is he adorable playing in the snow!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote