Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #1 
bluebettafish

Question about new tank

Hello. I just got a new 3 gallon tank that came with a filter and a light. I have a couple of questions before I put him in.

1. I've read on this forum that this tank (Marineland Eclipse) is very good and many people seem to be pleased with the filteration. I'm just looking at the tank now and the water current could be a bit fast/strong for such a little guy. Has anyone encountered any problems?

2. The heater is for 2-5 gallon tanks but I'm afraid the water is getting too hot. I had it on since this morning when I set up the tank and the temperature is now at 84. It might be even higher because that's as high as it goes on this thermometer. I know it's gonna get colder in this room at night but I won't be around to turn it on and off all the time. Any suggestions? There is no temperature setting on the heater.
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #2 
Jynx

I have that tank and the water current is fine
If you go to home depot or something like that you can get a timer to program when your heater is plugged in- it's like having someone there to plug it in and out for you- I used to use one to turn on my turtle light at 6 am and off again in the evening. They're not expensive.
You might need to experiment a bit to find out how much the heater needs to be on to maintain the temperature you want.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #3 
dr2b

I have the corner 5 by Marineland and my current isn't bad. Flair actually plays in the current some nights. And what heater do you have? I know the Hydor mini's do have a problem with making the tank heat up to much (because there is no temp control). If it has a thermostat on it, I'd set it as low as you could and do as previously mentioned: get the timer.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #4 
bluebettafish

The timer is a great idea! I'll go check it out tomorrow.
I believe that's the heater I have and there is no thermostat. Sounds like the timer would be the way to go unless I buy another heater. Thank you for the suggestions!!
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote