Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #1 
Saber

Thoughts for poor Iskander, please!

This guy jumped his divider and ended up with Triton while I was at the movies...I was horrified when I came into my room and saw them in the same tank. Triton obviously was the winner here...Poor Iskander hardly has any fins left at all. That tiny strip at the end of his body is what is left of his tail. I am feeling responsible, and seriously considering taking down my divided tank after this, or substantially adding on to the dividers...

The good news is that he is acting normally. He swims as best he can, and has eaten two pellets with the zeal that he always does. I've put him in his old 1.5 heated and filtered Tetra cube tank with less than half a table spoon of aquarium salt, and I've lowered the water line so that he doesn't have to swim so far. Should I add more salt? I don't want him to get an infection, but I also don't want to poison him. The container says to add one rounded tablespoon per 5 US gallons, so I was being conservative here.

Thoughts and advice for him would be greatly appreciated. I hope he makes it.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #2 
shannonpwns

Oh my goodness....that just gave me the chills because I was considering splitting a 10 gal for my boys tonight. Your poor boy!!! I can't help you with his treatment, but I just wanted to say he is in my thoughts and I really hope he pulls through!

How much space is there between the divider and the lid? Would perhaps a glass lid solve the problem? Maybe you can attach something to the top edge of the divider to make it touch the hood. Maybe attach some unused plastic plants or something so if someone does try to jump, they can't get over.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Clean water is all you need. IAL would help to if you have it on hand.

There is no purpose in using aq salt right now as there is no infection present, and using it unnecessarily only adds extra stress.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #4 
Saber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
Oh my goodness....that just gave me the chills because I was considering splitting a 10 gal for my boys tonight. Your poor boy!!! I can't help you with his treatment, but I just wanted to say he is in my thoughts and I really hope he pulls through!

How much space is there between the divider and the lid? Would perhaps a glass lid solve the problem? Maybe you can attach something to the top edge of the divider to make it touch the hood. Maybe attach some unused plastic plants or something so if someone does try to jump, they can't get over.
Thanks so much. There is some space between the tops of the dividers and the lid, maybe 1-3 inches, I haven't really measured, but that plant idea was really good..I'll have to try some things and see what works. I wouldn't discourage you from starting yours, just be very careful about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Clean water is all you need. IAL would help to if you have it on hand.

There is no purpose in using aq salt right now as there is no infection present, and using it unnecessarily only adds extra stress.
Thank you for answering. I am running to work soon and I'm going to do a water change when I return home, so I'll just skip the salt. 100% water changes at this point, or 50-75% each time?

Last edited by Saber; 09-27-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #5 
veggiegirl

Oh your poor boy! I am sure he will be okay though I have had this happen before. The fish that lost had fins that looked a lot like your boys and his bottom jaw was hanging by a thread. He made a full recovery though. His jaw sort of reattached a little crooked but he never missed a meal not even the day it happened.

In the last 3 days one of my bettas in my 2 bay tank jumped the divider twice! Both times the fish pretty much ignored each other which really surprised me. My white HM boy flared his gills a couple of times at the plakat boy but that was it. They were both too excited to worry about each other because it was feed time so they were more interested in what I was doing. That is why the plakat boy jumped the divider in the first place.......he saw me coming with the food!

The boy in my avatar is the one that has been doing the jumping.....
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #6 
Chachi

Poor thing!! Hope he recovers quickly!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #7 
Canis

Just thought I'd answer here XD Yes, keep up with the 100% changes and do them every other day or so :) He'll do fine, I had a fish jump the divider and end up much worse than that, and he ended up with a full recovery :D Sadly, I think he liked the idea of a smaller tail and gives himself a trim every once in a while -.-
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #8 
Saber

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice everyone. Despite my best efforts, I lost him today at some point while I was at work. :( SIP little guy...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #9 
Chachi

Sorry to hear that!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #10 
shannonpwns

SIP Iskander! So sorry!
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote