Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #1 
jbboos

Unhappy Not sure if he has fin rot :(

Hello everyone.
My male crowntail is a relativly happy, healthy fish.. But I noticed something as of lastnight :/
His fins are just not the same.
The tips of his back fins are not black but they look like they are closing up...
Is it stress? Or fin rot?
I keep him in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter, light.. And the water is kept very warm.
Now he is in a different 2.5 gallon with clean water (bettafix and aqurium salt in it) and heated...
Please help :(
Attached Images

jbboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #2 
sainthogan

It doesn't look like finrot, but rather fin clamping which can be caused by illness or stress. Stress can be caused by all sorts of things, like water temperature, parameters, fear, lack of hiding places, etc.
How warm is the water, what do you use for treating the water and how often do you change it? Also, does he have lots of hiding places? They can get stressed if they don't.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #3 
jbboos

I really hope it's not an illness.
I put him in the tank only so he could have his stress coat and all that important stuff.
I'm not sure what exactly would stress him out only because he has. 2.5 gallon tank all to himself with three different hiding spots.
His water tempature is between 78 and 78 degrees and I change the water every week... Maybe it's too much for a tank with a filter?
I really appreciate the answer :)
jbboos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #4 
sainthogan

Sometimes the filter flow is too much in a small tank. You may want to consider turning it off or reducing the flow for a while. Also for a tank that size, even with a filter, you should be doing a minimum of 2 water changes a week, if you turn the filter off, you'll need to add an extra water change. Check out this sticky for help: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758 it will tell you how often and how much to change based on your tank size, filter or no filter, live plants or none, etc.
And by lots of hiding places, I mean lots. Most would consider 3 not very many. Betta fish need a lot of cover and hidey holes. Both of my tanks have more than 10 hiding places, and for my male, that's not enough - I'm going to have to get him more. He LOVES to hide and his favorite hiding place is behind his filter, but he also hides behind his heater and on or under all the large leaves from his Lilly plant (there's about 9 of them). He used to hide in his pineapple home, but I had to remove it because the paint was chipping off, so I need to get him a new hiding home to replace it. He also has a fake plant with large leaves that he hides in.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finrot, finrot betta crowntail, male