Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #1 
xdancexbethy

help! sudden deaths!

ok, i need some major help, 3 of my betta females (all of which were store bought) have died in the past 48 hours, the first death is unknown, the second was after i had put all of the bettas in separate tanks and her gills had swollen up really bad about 2 hours before she had died, and i didnt notice anything wrong with her, the third died from what i think was sbd, you see her stomach was always swollen, and i had no idea what it was, she had it when i first got her, i thought it was normal b/c she was a big female betta, well tonight she started to float to the top but her tail would float, and when she would go down to the bottom of the tank she had a real hard time and would burry her face in the rocks at the bottom of the little tank, and her scales on her stomach were coming off, so i went to the store and they said it could be treated with maracyn1. well after i put a real small amount in her tank her gils started to get really swollen, about 2 hours after that, she died, but she was at the bottom of the tank, and her tail was up and her face in the rocks, i dont know what happened and if its contagious and if the other fish might have it! i keep the tank really clean and havent had any problems, i have only had it for about 3 months.
xdancexbethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #2 
rb500

I'm sorry i don't know what would be wrong but I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions. I hope it can be cleared up soon!
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #3 
dr2b

Did you keep everyone together? Not saying you did, but it just sounded like it to me. Part of the problem is you need to pick a healthy betta when you go to the store. They go through horrible conditions when traveling and sitting in the store. You need to choose a betta who is active and doesn't have torn up fins. The one you didn't notice anything wrong with could have had something internally wrong with her. That or she could have had a heart attack.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #4 
AngelicScars

Sounds like they were sick when you bought them. I hope you didn't house them together, I guess if you did you know now not to do that in the future. Sorry about your girls.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #5 
sunkissedinCA

oh no, i'm sorry about your fishies. if her stomach was like that when you bought her, she might have been over fed(most pet store employees are shockingly uneducated when it comes to taking care of the animals they are responsible for). the one with the swollen gills might have had ammonia poisoning. when too much of it builds up in their bowls, it burns them, and after going untreated, it can permanently mess up their gills and kill them. did you keep them all in 1 tank?
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #6 
Lynn08

Im sorry to hear about your loss :( I have had 3 females die in 48 hours also....to unknown causes. I have one female n two males left and im watching them so closely now! :(
Lynn08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #7 
xdancexbethy

yeah, i had a 12 gallon and kept them all together when i first got them, and now they are in separate tanks, i bought 2 females 2 days ago to and one just died, and she was just a baby, ugh, this is so frustrating
Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #8 
dr2b

Bettas really shouldn't be housed together - glad you separated them. I'm sorry you lost another one too.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #9 
xdancexbethy

should i try a salt bath to make sure the other 3 will be ok?
Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #10 
dr2b

Couldn't hurt. Salt baths are always a good thing.

Tags
sbd