Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #1 
Mrlayhe

Check out my lame tank.

So what's up. I like fish. You do too? Awesome. I rescued this poor betta fish from my mother, aka the betta killer. She's a wonderful woman, but every fish she's ever owned dies a sad death. Her previous betta committed suicide, death by jumping out of its vase sometime last year. She went a bought a new guy from our local pet place, around 10 months ago, and stuffed him inside this small 1 gallon.. circular.. uh... glass... home. it sucks-

my uncle, her brother. gave my father, a 10+ year old fishtank towards the end of last year also. my father is equally bad at keeping fish alive. he will dump all kinds of chemicals into a tank just to keep it 'clean' & nice to look at. I can only assume that's why his fish end up dead floating around a few days later.

so he gave up on the tank, and kept it empty with no water with all of its stuff inside gravel, fake plants. & one day I come across it and come up with the brilliant idea to commandeer our new betta & put him in this awesome condo.

Boom. here it is. picture was taken. Idk. maybe february? I don't know how big it is. 4 liters per gallon.. dump 4 liters into it at a time.. takes.. 4, 5 trips. so let's say it's 5 gallons. it was great at first. this guy was loving it. I had a better light, the light you see now sucks & they've both died. but at night he would flare all around the tank & just pull that macho strut, I'm a big fish attitude. it's cute & nice to see while I'm going on about my daily life. he sits on the top end of the heater.. which you can see.... the sideways thong in the middle.. and he can hide.. in that little broken boat.. I took the plant out.. fake.. plastic.. piece of crap. maybe I should put it back in.

sitting here rambling.
I'm sorry.
let me get to the point.
I havn't seen him flare.. in so long. It's a lighting problem I think. I need a fluroescent (spelling?) bulb to put ontop of his cover. & the walls are covered in algae.

and the gravel is covered in crap. I'm also out of water conditioner. I'm cheap, and broke. I've been out of conditioner for months. going on a 5 day stretch that I havn't changed his water. I want to clean the whole tank. here's a crappy picture I just took. you can see, the green creeping up the walls, and there's more, that you can't see. & that tube.. next to the heater, is a bubble maker. dirty dirty dirty.

which is why I'm here. to ask you guys. do I throw him back in his glass home for a day or two while I clean shop? will that shock his system when I throw him back in the bigger condo with fresh water & the bacteria he's used to is gone? I've read a lot of threads that talk about over feeding & bacteria and that the food that falls to the bottom creates a mess & how gravel doesn't help. should I not keep the gravel?

just trying to improve. that quality of life. I want to get to work on it now, but I'll wait a while. see if I get any replies.. to you people. I feel silly in this thread. it's long. like I'm having a conversation with myself.

I normally do... 3/4 water change.. every 3 to 4 days, and when I feed him. I just.. dump a bunch in there. he chows down, but sometimes there are leftovers. which fall.. to the bottom, and create. whatever they do.

Attached Images

Mrlayhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #2 
Laki

Hey, thanks for saving that poor fish! If your out of conditioner you can fill a bucket of water and let it sit for at least 24 hours to let the toxic chemicals like chlorine evaporate. But get conditioner as soon as you can.

Also, remove him from the tank and set him aside in a cup for a bit... Then scrub the tank clean, rub all the gravel under warm water. Don't use soap or anything. Warm water is all you need.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #3 
Mrlayhe

clean clean clean. super clean.

no water conditioner. a fresh 5 gallons of water straight from the tap. I should wait to toss him in? I'll try. I'd say in about 5 hours I'll get anxious.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #4 
Laki

You can use tap water, but WAIT 24 HOURS before it's safe.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #5 
Mrlayhe

okay

he'll be alright in this little bowl. he's lived here before. he can do it again for a day
Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #6 
Laki

Yes, but until you get conditioner, set aside multiple buckets of water. He's going to need clean water and in a tank smaller than 5 gallons he will need good water changed 2x per week.

Be careful when acclimating him to the water, room temperature water is significantly colder than a heated tank and the shock if you don't slowly acclimate can kill him. I suggest removing him with every water change and then floating him in the clean water in a bag/cup slowly getting him used to the new water.

Hope everything is okay :)
Old 09-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #7 
peachii

Does the chlorine and bad stuff for fish go away in 24 hours? That seems rather fast, hate to see him die because of tap water being used. most times I see people recommend a week or so to sit water out to avoid using the conditioner.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #8 
Laki

24 hours is a bare minimum. I would set some water out now for a water change tomorrow night but also add extra buckets to set for longer because the longer the better, without going overboard (because you will end up with stagnant water not fit for habitation) What's better is if you transfer the air stone to the buckets of water that's setting, it will help it stabilize/regulate.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #9 
FirstBetta

Water conditioner is imperative. Leaving water age will get rid of chlorine but not Chloramine. It will not outgas as does chlorine which is the reason water suppliers use it. Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia. The conditioner a lot of fish keepers use is Seachem Prime which is quite powerful, it only needs to be dosed at 2 drops per gallon of water. So a bottle goes a long way.

I realize you're broke but you should also get a API Master FW test kit. Just putting chemicals in a tank and not knowing what is needed is a recipe for disaster.

Adding live plants helps to stabilize the water and will soak up the ammonia the fish produce so they will make life a lot easier on you and help preserve your fish. If you feel that you need any help in learning how to best keep your Betta just ask.

Last edited by FirstBetta; 09-28-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typo
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #10 
Mrlayhe

2 drops per gallon of water? I had bought a bottle of conditioner earlier this year & it was like. I don't quite remember. exactly. but it was more than that.. in a tiny bottle.. for like 20 bucks. was out in 2 months. I guess that's how these markets keep you running back. water down your stuff.

and I googled the test kit.. came up with an amazon sale.. http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater.../dp/B000255NCI

kit & seachem prime.. orders over 25$ free shipping.. ahhhhh ****. going to stretch money out and make it happen.

I have this guy in a bowl infront of my moniter. Staring at me, like why am I in this thing. You can see fuzzies. ( lol ) On his tencacles? Fungusey growth, and on his fin.. the belly fin? There's a spot I recently noticed. That you can see through. Not literally, but like you can see light on the otherside of him. It's a small area. I don't ever recall seeing it before a week or two ago.