Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #1 
ChibiShishou

Exclamation The fish who doesn't eat will not eat again

Tank: 2.5(tiny I know but our school is very picky and wont allow ten gallons and my fish at home is in my 3 gallon so I had to take the little one up to college until I can afford a five gallon or so which won't be for about another week or so when our student paycheck comes in)
Water Changes: 1 100% and 1 25% weekly

What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Unfortunately no it broke
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air stone!!!
Is your tank heated?Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a marimo moss ball

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega or topfin can't remember which one
How often do you feed your betta fish? I DID feed him 3 pellets twice a day with a fasting on fridays

Maintenance
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: stuff that makes the water safe for fishies

PH and water levels are okie dokies.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hes getting reallllllly skinny
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: He isn;t eating at all, Hes eaten probably around 2 to 4 pellets in the past 2 or so weeks. This started when I first got to school, I figured it was the stress from the car ride and his new surroundings so I let it go. You know normal betta stuff. Then he didn't eaten until I did the next water change. Under which HE ATE healthily. Until I did a fasting and a water change for him. He has since not eaten either at all or horribly little as stated above maybe 2 to 4 pellets. Not much at all.
He has been more sluggish except for last night when he spazzed out, quite literally rocketing around the tank, bouncing off of the walls running into things attacking the moss ball etc. It was scary so I tossed a black shirt over most of the tank to make it dark and that calmed him down.

He flares and yawns a lot as well. The yawning is something he hasn't been doing before this, flaring is normal for him.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 1/2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: Being persistent with food offerings, making the food go around, making the food sink to make him chase it, offering food then hiding under desk, covering up sides of tank so he isn't overstimulated, feeding only at certain times etc.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Other than ramming his head into an ornament, no.
How old is your fish (approximately)?:2 ish?

So yes..My lil' drama king is being a butt again. Hes gone on these fasting sprees before but they still toss me through a loop of agony and despair knowing his lil tummy is empty.
In addition his freak out last night has me concerned for him

I have noticed zero activity of external parasites, his poop is a normal color he isn't bloated his color is still good if not a tad lighter on his body and his eyes are clear and ego filled as ever.

So..................Any takers on the what the heck is this guy doing and how can I get him to eat again party?
Thank you for your time in this matter,

The mother of one of the most stubborn yet horribly adorable fish in the world who fought a decoration and won.
ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #2 
ChibiShishou

I could really use some help if anyone has some information or could at least bump this??
Old 10-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #3 
sainthogan

How often do you do a water change?

My only guess is that the water parameters at the school are drastically different than what you had at home and it's seriously stressing him out.
I'm also wondering if he's got a parasite or something that would make him spazz out like that - sounds like he was possibly trying to scratch himself on the walls and the decorations.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #4 
ChibiShishou

One one hundred percent and one 75% or 50% once a week since his tank is so teeny :( I also make sure to get out as much as the uneaten food as possible.

I'm not sure about internal parasites since wouldn't his fecal matter be a different color????
Thank you!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #5 
sainthogan

I'm thinking more of an external parasite, that would explain the spazzing and trying to scratch himself.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #6 
ChibiShishou

Alright so we may be dealing with an internal parasite got it.
Well skittles I've never encountered one of those!!!

Good news is he ate one pellet so thats...*counts on fingers* Uhmm 4? 5? Which makes me downright hopeful he may be on the upswing!!!
I don't have an adjustable heater so I suppose I should start looking into internal parasite natural stuff. I don't want to flood him with medicine if I don't have to.

Thank you!!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #7 
sainthogan

external
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #8 
ChibiShishou

External, sorry Im exhausted from today XD.

Alright well I have not noted any parasites on him to be honest. I check daily and give him a pretty good look over at least twice a day or whenever I pass him by.
His color is the same
No hooky ones, none on the tail or the fins
Where else would a parasite be??
Old 10-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #9 
DerangedUnicorn

I don't know much about diseases of fish, but I know ich can hide in the gills..don't know about other parasites.
DerangedUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedUnicorn View Post
I don't know much about diseases of fish, but I know ich can hide in the gills
That is correct. Just because a fish does not have spots on the body doesn't mean that it's free of the parasite. An otherwise healthy fish can live with a low level infestation indefinitely. Parasites form a symbiotic relationship with their host - as long as the fish remains otherwise healthy, and stress free, then the fishs immune system can keep it in check. However, once the fish is stressed, it loses the upper hand and the parasite starts to overrun the fish. At the point we notice spots on the fish, it is already infested.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating, food, health, help betta fish