Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #21 
Aalistair

Whenever I've done a water change, I've added two teaspoons of Epsom salt per gallon with the new water. I usually only do 1-2 gallons at a time. I've been treating with Epsom for about 3 days now. I don't have daphnia, but I do have frozen peas. Will those work?

Also, how easy is it to spot white poop? I'm looking through his tank often, but I worry that I'm overlooking the bad stuff because I can't see it.
Aalistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #22 
Aalistair

Figured I'd post an update around now.

He no longer seems to be having any trouble swimming around. I fed him once this afternoon, and he hasn't been sinking or floating up. Apart from searching for food, he's not very active though. Occasionally clamps his fins, but not too often. No sign of any poop yet, unfortunately.

He's been clean all day, but just now I he got a bubble stuck to him. It looks like a shinny bead sitting on his head, and it's quite large. I read that on certain fish, they produce extra mucus when they get really sick and bubbles can get stuck on them, but nothing about Bettas. Whatever it is, it certainly can't be natural, right? He doesn't appear to have any blue/grey stuff on him, so I hope we can rule out Chilodonella. I don't know what to do anymore. Been searching the internet all day. I'm so stressed. :(
Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #23 
ANHEL123

I would do more water changes with Epsom. Do at least 50% with 2 tsp/gall with daily water changes. You using the filter right? Rinse the filter in the tank water too. Treat with Epsom at least 14 days. And i don't know why i thought you have a frozen daphnia. Can you get it? Its very good when fish is constipated. Also people recommending to feed fish with fresh larva, not sure if you can get it.

I am not sure about bobbles but i want to post for you what Sakura8 wrote to someone else who had a problem. So read this, not sure if it what your boy have

'' Let me ask you a question. When you do a water change, do you get a lot of bubbles that cling to the tank walls and all the decor for a while? If so, then your guy may have gas bubble disease, which really isn't a disease at all but a condition.

What happens is when we do water changes, sometimes we get nitrogen gas bubbles in the water when cool and gas-rich waters are heated up to betta-appropriate temps too fast. This causes gas superstaturation and causes all those tiny bubbles that we often see in fish pics here on the forum.

Normally, this does absolutely no harm at all but on some occasions, especially when the bubbles form ON the fish itself, the gas bubbles can be inhaled through the gills. Once inside, the bubbles make their way through the body and attach to tissue, forming clear blister-like bubbles on fins and skin. This may be what happened. The blisters usually resolve themselves as the gas is reabsorbed.

However, if you don't often get gas supersaturation bubbles, then another possibility is something got under those raised scales and caused a sore to form. If his behavior is normal and he is eating fine, then I would just keep the water clean and watch that spot and his behavior.

About your ammonia . . . I would recommend first doing a partial water change and then testing ammonia again about an hour after the change. .25 ppm is a little high, right at the edge of the danger zone. If you still have a .25ppm reading right after doing a water change, then test your water straight from the tap because you may have ammonia in your source water. If that is the case, then I'd recommend switching to Seachem Prime as your water conditioner, as it helps to neutralize ammonia. You may also want to add some live plants such as floating plants or java moss.''
Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #24 
Aalistair

I don't know about that bubble thing. They bubbles that occasionally appear on him sometimes look like they're floating right next to him. Either resting on his scales or floating just barely off of them. And when I do a water change, there isn't an excess of bubbles around the tank. I make sure the new water is the same temp as the tank water, so I don't get those bubbles.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

keep us updated please .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #26 
Aalistair

Well, still no sign of new poop. Or if it's there, I can't see it.

He's floating up again today, probably because I he broke his fast yesterday. Nothing new to report though.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #27 
ANHEL123

You can try to increase Epsom to 3 tsp/gall .
Can you remind to me, i think you have hospital tank. If you could maintain the temperature there , it would be really easier for you and for him if you can use it. For you its would be easier to change the water and for him its he will easier get to the surface. And also with the problem that he has he needs as less water movement as possible. So smaller tank without filter would be easier and better. And you can monitor his poo easier.
If he will do it again and if it will be white again it might indication of the internal parasites. Then you would need to treat him with medication. But lets wait and see. Sorry i don't know what to say about frozen pea. Some people do recommending and some not. I do know that frozen daphnia recommended and larva. So i don't know what to say. You can try it i guess. Its not going to kill him. But wait he just had it so lets wait.
Don't give him though a piece of the pea i think you need to smash it first. But wait with a pea.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #28 
Aalistair

I've moved him over to a three gallon tank that I'm going to use as a hospital tank for the time being. I moved his heater in their with him, but the filter is too strong and really really bothers him. I've spent the afternoon going through his old tank meticulously looking for anything, and found a white clump of (what I assume to be) poop in the corner. It looks like a fat string curled around to make a circle.

His SBD seems to be worse today too. Just just wedges himself behind the heater and stays there near the top. When I moved him over to the new tank, a ton of the micro bubbles got stuck on him, specifically his belly. I really don't understand what's causing this and it's making me worry more than the bloating issue. I'm going to monitor him closely this weekend, and when I can go into town, I'll try to buy some anti-parasite medicine and....maybe some Clove Oil. In case things get worse...
Old 10-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #29 
Aalistair

Posting a quick update.

Not too long ago, he just went to the bathroom and his poop was a really light brown. It looked kind of brown and greyish. It took me a while to find it because it was floating in a corner. Anyway, after he pooped, he seems to be able to swim freely now. For the most part. I think when he stops moving, he sort of starts leaning over to one side or the other. Keeping a close eye on him to make sure he isn't scratching around or something. I hate seeing those bubbles on him.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

I think its a good plan. Keep eye on him and i would still have some med's on hands. You can return them in case you don't use them.
The medications i would look for : API General Cure, Tetra Parasite Guard, or this one. but i think this one should be ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Se...fsrc=1&afsrc=1

Tags
ich disease