Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #1 
hollyk

Exclamation Emergency- Sick Rescue Fish!

Hey guys,

I just bought 2 crowntail males from Walmart a few minutes ago, and just got home. All of the fish looked bad, the water was filthy; it was horrible. I just bought the 2 that looked the worst- one laying on his side floating on the top, and one laying on his side on the bottom. The guy that was laying on the bottom seems to have very advanced fin rot- it's about to start into his body, it seems. The little jar he came in is filled with blue debris that I can only assume is disintegrated fin debris. My local pet store is closed, but any suggestions on what to do to treat advanced fin rot? Medications?

The other guy was floating on the top and looks bloated right around his gills. I don't quite know what might be wrong with him.

Sorry for the trouble- I'm rather inexperienced at betta rescues, although I've treated sick fish of other species before. I just didn't want to leave them there to face certain death, though. They even had a bag with dead fish lying right in the sink for public viewing. So disgusting.

I am unable at this time to answer the questions regarding water parameters and frequency of changes, as I don't know what they were doing there. I'm going to go right now to put them into clean tanks with proper temps. Wish me luck with my new "children"!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #2 
Chachi

Good luck!! Hope things go well for your new rescues!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #3 
hollyk

I thought it couldn't get any worse, and then I see that the guy with the fin rot is missing one of his eyes. You can actually see the eye laying in the bottom of the cup. I'm feeling nauseous. How can anyone let this happen? Poor little guys!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #4 
PetMania

Oh my. In the cup? I'm so sorry. Get him into warm, clean water ASAP!
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) What medications do you have on hand? What about aquarium and Epsom salts?

If you tell us that, someone may be able to suggest your current meds, rather than sending you out to purchase something new.

2) Can you post photos? I'd like to get an idea of how extensive the fin rot is on the one with the eye problem. And I'd like to see the region around the other one's gills.

The one with the gill problem may just be suffering from high levels of ammonia and low-quality food. Ammonia can cause burns around the gills. And poor quality food can cause constipation and bloating, which in turn lead to buoyancy issues.

But again, photos can help us determine the extent of their problems....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #6 
hollyk

They're now both in small tanks with clean water! The water temp is at 78 degrees. Is that okay? I treated the water with a little bit of water conditioner to dechlorinate the tap water, but otherwise haven't put anything else in.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #7 
hollyk

Okay, I'll try to get some pictures. Thanks. The one's gills are now looking a little better, but he's swimming kind of erratically.

I bought some Epsom salts with the fish; figured I might need that. I also have some Bettafix on hand, but I haven't added anything to the water yet.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #8 
PetMania

Clean water, dechlorinated = good.
We need pics, though so we can see the extent of the damage. 78 degrees is perfect, but you may need a higher temp. to treat them.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #9 
PetMania

Do not use BettaFix. It is not good for bettas. It doesn't work. Aquarium Salt is better.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #10 
hollyk

Sorry, I'm new to this site as of yesterday. I still don't know how to upload pictures. I'll try to take some decent looking photos and get them up ASAP, but it may take a bit. I'm not very technologically savvy!