Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #11 
PetMania

it's okay. No need to apologize. Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was rushing you.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #12 
hollyk

I don't have any aquarium salt at the moment, just epsom salts and marine salt for my clownfishes (obviously not a good idea for the bettas!) I'll get some tomorrow morning.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #13 
hollyk

Oh no, you didn't at all! I just didn't want anyone to think I'm a derelict fish owner because I can't figure out how to do things! lol I'm trying as fast as I can!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #14 
PetMania

I don't have any experience with Epsom, so I can't really help you with that. I wouldn't want to make things worse. I do have a ton of exper. with Aq. Salt, though. I'll be glad to help you with that
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

No.... Don't add anything yet.

Don't add Aquarium salt yet. (It can worsen buoyancy issues and constipation. It sounds like the one with gill problems has this.)

Don't add Epsom salt yet.

Don't add medications yet.

Just use lots of clean, warm water..... Offer them small meals of quality protein-based foods. If they don't eat, remove the food from the tank.

It really sounds to me like the one with the gill problems just needs clean, warm water and small meals of good food.

The other one with the fin rot (and missing eye) may need antibiotics. BUT I don't like using Aquarium salt and antibiotics simultaneously. Both are eliminated by the kidneys, so it's best to use only one thing at a time, in order to lessen the stress on the kidneys. If the fin rot is that severe, Aquarium salt will not be as effective as a good antibiotic.....

(P.S. If you have marine salt, you don't need to purchase aquarium salt.... But again, don't use any yet. Bettas are sensitive to salt, and I don't want to overstress his kidneys..... I also wouldn't use Bettafix/melafix. It has mild antimicrobial properties. But the one with fin rot (and a missing eye) probably needs something stronger. The one will gill problems may not need it at all.)

To upload a photo:
1) Click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the reply box.
2) When the new window opens, click the paperclip icon (about 5th from the right on the top row of icons).
3) Click "Choose File." Pay attention to the file size limits....
4) Click "Upload files."

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 09-29-2013 at 08:54 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #16 
hollyk

Okay, I tried. The red guy is actually already looking better and more active, although his swimming is slightly erratic. The blue fin rot guy doesn't look so great. But they both seem happier and more active in their new tanks.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #17 
hollyk

Shoot, why did it load upside down? Haha He actually is swimming upright! And sorry about the poor quality. It is an iPad image...
Old 09-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #18 
hollyk

Here's the other guy
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #19 
hollyk

Ok, that doesn't look too good. I will try another one.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #20 
hollyk

Let's try this picture...
Attached Images