Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #21 
hollyk

I don't know- at this point, the red one physically looks fine. It's just that he's swimming a little sideways here and there. I'll hold off on putting anything in the tanks for the moment.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #22 
LittleBlueFishlets

I think the red one will be OK. Clean, warm water and good nutrition should clear up both the red area around the gills and his buoyancy issues.

What type of food do you have? On this forum, New Life Spectrum (NLS) Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet are the two most often recommended foods. Both have quality proteins, without lots of fillers/grains. (Fillers and grains such as wheat, corn, soybean, gluten, etc. are often found in lower quality foods, and can cause constipation and bloating in sensitive bettas.)

I can't really see the blue on well in the photos. How far down does the fin rot go? How far is it from his body?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #23 
hollyk

Ok, I'll purchase one of the foods you recommended. Right now I have some freeze-dried bloodworms, which is what the Petsmart employee told me to use when I bought my first betta. Probably not the most reliable source...

Sorry about the bad picture- I can't seem to get a better one. The fin rot is literally touching his body in some areas. I don't see any damage to the body yet, but it's less than a millimeter away. It's just right down to his body, especially on his belly.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #24 
hollyk

Ok, I hope this one turned out a little better.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #25 
PetMania

I hope he gets better.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #26 
hollyk

Thanks! Me too!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would use antibiotics for the blue guy.... Do you have any on hand? If so, what?

The rot is close to his body. I'd rather medicate now. If it reaches his body, it's harder to treat....
Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #28 
hollyk

I don't have anything on hand at the moment, apart from the salts and Bettafix. I can go it the pet store first thing in the morning. Suggestions for what to buy? Thank you very much for your help!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #29 
LittleBlueFishlets

I've had good luck with the furan meds for fin rot.... All three of the following have the same two furan medications: nitrofurazone and furazolidone.

- API Furan 2
- Bifuran
- Jungle Fungus Clear (available at Walmart)
Old 09-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #30 
hollyk

Oh, that would be nice! Walmart is open 24 hours. Even though I hate them for mistreating innocent fishies, it would be nice to get him taken care of ASAP. I'll run out tonight. Thank you very much! (By the way, the betta in your photo is beautiful! I'll have to get a good picture of my dragonscale, who is the prettiest one of my misfits. At least he came to me healthy and normal!)