Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #31 
LittleBlueFishlets

Thank you! That's "Miami." He was rescued from a very cold store last winter. Their heat had gone out, and the store temp was in the 50s F. He was the *only* betta left in the place, and looked miserable. He also wasn't very attractive - pale gray and clamped. Someone glanced at him and said, "That's one ugly fish. Who'd want that?".... Needless to say, I did.... I loaded him into my car, turned up the heat, and named him after a tropical place.... And yes, he has turquoise lipstick.

I used Jungle Fungus Clear on my HM, who developed an aggressive case of fin rot (after biting off his fins). It worked well.

Defintely post a photo of your dragonscale!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #32 
hollyk

Great, thank you so much for all your help, to everyone who responded! Wish me luck with my misfits! I think rescuing them makes them more "special," anyways. It's easy to get attached to a fish when you're up all night with it, doing research and water changes. Your boy certainly turned out lovely for having been called ugly at one point! Maybe there's hope for my guys!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #33 
hollyk

I'll have to think of a pirate kind of name for my one-eyed mate. Jack Sparrow. That's it. The blue guy is named Captain Jack Sparrow. Now for the red one... Hmm...
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #34 
hollyk

Hi again everyone!

I just wanted to give you an update! Captain Jack Sparrow's fins are growing back. He's still the ugliest betta on the planet, but he's just darling. He's a ravenous eater all the time, and he seems happy and healthy in spite of everything. The only real problem I've noticed (apart from the bad fins, which are definitely growing back) is that he gets nervous if approached from the side where he's missing an eye, obviously. So I just have to be careful when I reach in to clean him or anything.

The red floaty guy, who I decided to name Iago (I had just seen a performance of Shakespeare's "Othello," my favorite play, the evening I bought him. Iago is one of the greatest characters of all time! ) took a much longer time to come around. He was unexpectedly difficult to work with. Even with clean, warm water, he continued floating on his side most of the time. About a week after getting him and seeing no improvement, I tried Epsom salt baths and some daphnia when he became severely bloated. He's finally swimming upright and is able to move throughout the tank. He still doesn't seem hungry most of the time, but he eats occasionally. He just started to improve two days ago, so I'm still giving him time. But overall, both fish seem to be on the upswing.

Thank you very much to everyone who offered advice, assistance, and encouragement. It appears that my first rescue attempt has been successful!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #35 
hollyk

Oh, and when I say "ravenous eater all the time" I don't mean that he eats all the time! He gets fed once a day, and I haven't had any trouble with bloating with him or anything. I was just amazed that he's been eager for food from day 1, when he seemed so terribly sick, compared to the other guy, who is still hardly showing an interest in food...
Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #36 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yay! I'm glad they're doing well! And kudos to you for saving them.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #37 
hollyk

Thank you very much! I don't know that I could have saved them without your assistance!