Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #1 
rockstar26

Update on Blues Clues

Last night I noticed Blues Clues was just hanging near the bottom of the tank, his tail end touching the gravel, his face pointed upwards.... he'd attempt to swim a lil and just sink back down and get tired out real quick... He was fine earlier during the day...

anyhow... I am fasting him today to see if that helps anything, he's still towards the bottom of the tank... I became worried more after my other (cosmo) just flares at him while blues lays there near the divider... Afraid of stressing Blue out more I took him out of the tank and am making a temporary home for him in a bowl that I have....

currently awaiting to make sure temp is correct for the new water he's in the plastic container he came in, yet now he seems to be laying somewhat on his side....

Blue has had many issues his poor lill life, he's been treated for fin rot and also for popeye (sadly he's still living with popeye) none of the meds i have tried have worked for him...

im unsure whats wrong and what to do for him now :(
rockstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

That happened to me with Oscar. No matter what I did, he never got better. I'm wishing all the best for Blues Clues.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #3 
scuba divr 2727

[quote=scuba divr 2727;231418]that might be dropsy because that what my fish acted like shortly before he died but didnt know you could treat it . man!!!!
scuba divr 2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #4 
scuba divr 2727

sorry bout that^
scuba divr 2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #5 
dr2b

Good luck with Blues Clues - I hope he can pull through.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #6 
misstephaniexxx

Good luck. I hope he gets better.
misstephaniexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #7 
BabblingFish

Popeye treatment...

If your fish is still eating you can try feeding him or her antibacterial fish food. In fact, this is probably the best option to try first before treating the entire tank. It is also a good idea to put the affected fish in it's own tank if possible.

Putting the ill fish in its own tank you don't have to treat the entire tank, only the sick tank. This will also help to keep any disease the fish may have from spreading to the rest of your fish.

To help prevent fungal infections from developing in the eye it is beneficial to add some aquarium salt to the tank (about 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water).

If your fish is not eating, treat the water with Maracyn and Maracyn-Two for 5-7 days in case the cause of the popeye is bacterial. Popeye is sometimes caused by the Aeromonas bacterium. The reason Maracyn and Maracyn-Two are suggested is because they are antibiotics.

After treating the fish the best way you can (with a partial water change, antibiotics, and possibly some aquarium salt in the water) all you can really do is wait and see and hope the fish recovers. If the fish is having endocrine problems, treatment with water changes and antibiotics will not be effective. If the problem is viral, antibiotics will also not be effective.

In the case of a viral infection causing the pop-eye, aquarium salt will be your only recourse to boost your fish's immune system. Use the directed amount and remember to replace lost salt during water changes.

Good luck.
BabblingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #8 
KP0707

check the water there might be something in it
KP0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #9 
rockstar26

I've tried treating Blue in the past, I've used Betta Fix, Melafix, Meracyn, Gel tek ampicillian, aquariam salt.... nothing has helped....
rockstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote