Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #1 
stepheroo

New to Bettas

• So I just got my first betta yesterday.. bought him at a petsmart I transfered him to a 3 gallon tank, w/ conditioned tap water, some gravel on the bottom, 2 shoots of bamboo, and 2 small plants (I'm planning to get an actual plant cause I dont know how long the two stems will last.. probably a caveish thing he can hide in too).
  • He seems pretty happy; swims around a fair bit, and built a huge bubble nest earlier today but the bubbles popped and dispersed an hour later (is that normal? I have a fan near by (hopefully wont have it there for long) so turning it on may have caused that) and he now seems to be rebuilding it. I have read pretty much everything here so far, and I now know that this tank is probably a bit small for him (but I'm pretty sure hes really happy to be out of that little cup!) but I can't really afford, or have the space for a larger tank at the momment. However, I am now planning to upgrade for him, and if and when I do it would probably be to a community tank.. not alot of others, just 2 or 3 little fish that his breed would get along with, as I've read here.
  • Currently, I am most concerned about how much to feed him per day. I bought him a thing of betta bits, and tomorrow I'm gonna pick up some of their snack foods so I can treat him once or twice a week (bloodworms and such). How many of the little pellets should I give him a day? So far I've given him about 8 today and only 1 at a time so I dont contaminate his tank with them. I'm concerned that I might be feeding him too much, or not enough.
  • Also; he does not have a heater (but there is a lamp above him that I turn on every so often, but not for too long at a time, so I dont hurt him or his little eyes), but I'll be finding/getting a thermometor tomorrow, and probably a water testing kit so I can see if the levels are ok for him. This tank also came with a bubbler but I am not using it yet, because there are a lack of plugs available but I dont think he needs constant running water does he?
    • Thank you in advance for your help! :) I'll probably post pictures soon aswell. Hes so pretty; white body that shimmers pink, aqua and orange, orange head, black gills, aqua fins tipped with bright red. His names Callipstio, but I preffer to call him Mr. Fishey. I really want to keep him happy and make his life as good as I can.

Last edited by stepheroo; 08-13-2009 at 09:30 PM.
stepheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #2 
dr2b

Welcome to FishForum! It is recommended you feed your betta 2-3 pellets 2x a day & fasting once a week. You can feed bloodworms or brine shrimp as a treat once a week or so. Whether you need a heater depends on where you live. Some places stay warm all year round - and people don't need them...others do need them. You also should give your betta a day/night cycle. So it won't hurt him to leave the light on for a while.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #3 
Vikki81207

I feed my bettas: 2-3 pellets every morning and night, 12 hours apart (about 10:30 am & pm). Wednesday and Saturday mornings I feed them bloodworms. Sunday I fast them. And Monday morning I feed shrimp.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

What Vikki and dr2b said.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #5 
stepheroo

Ok! Thank you so much The tank is near a computer, so heat may not be a problem, but in winter I may purchase one incase. I got some frozen brine shrimp cubes and blood worms today, as well as a soft feathery looking live plant that I just introduced to him, and he seems to enjoy swimming around it; a few stalks are bent to resemble a cave for him. :)
stepheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #6 
BenstAA

Hmm all good info to know.
At night is
it bad if they don't have heat? Do bettas sleep?
Should I have a heater on them for the night because the light during the day+ a heater would be too great. Should I be giving them color enhancing foods?

Another q I have is a good way to make a divider for a ten gallon tank I have.
BenstAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #7 
Jynx

yes fish sleep- once you turn out the lights the fish will find a quiet place at the bottom to settle. Fish don't have eyelids so they do prefer you to turn out the lights when they sleep.

and most betta pellets have color enhancer- but variety helps. Try getting bloodworms or some kind of shrimp based food as treats and it will help with the color. But that's once or twice a week in place of regular food. It's really easy to overfeed a betta.

Last edited by Jynx; 08-17-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
yes fish sleep- once you turn out the lights the fish will find a quiet place at the bottom to settle. Fish don't have eyelids so they do prefer you to turn out the lights when they sleep.

and most betta pellets have color enhancer- but variety helps. Try getting bloodworms or some kind of shrimp based food as treats and it will help with the color. But that's once or twice a week in place of regular food. It's really easy to overfeed a betta.

They really like to beg for food. Back away from the tank slowl. I know you can do it
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #9 
jeremiah

I got my first beta, jeremiah, at petsmart 2 days ago, too! when i bought him it came with these flakes to feed him, but when i was little my parents had bettas that they fed the pellets. do they like the pellets better? are the flakes worse for him?

i just wanna be a good mommy to him :)
jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #10 
Jynx

Different bettas prefer different foods- and many will eat anything- you only need to worry about it if they actually refuse to eat the food you give them. In that case you may have to switch to something else.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote