Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #1 
bettababe321

Algae issues

Whats the best way to get rid of algae? I have it in both of my 5 gallons, and its starting to look really bad. I do 50% water changes weekly. Thanks for your help!
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #2 
dr2b

Umm there are a few natural ways:
1. Live plants.
2. Less light time.
3. Catfish of some sort.

I have heard of people talk about using some chemical...I'm not a fan of using chemicals though. If I can avoid it... I definitely do try not to use them.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #3 
bettababe321

So if I do a 50% water change and scrape off all of it, less light time will help prevent it from coming back? I only keep my light on for like 12 hours a day is that too much? and I would looove a catfish of some sort but is there any species that can live solo with just a betta? I only have five gallon tanks so I can't really get more than one or two.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #4 
dr2b

I have 2 otos in with Flair and everybody is happy and content. I don't see any reason to leave the light on for 12 hours if you don't have plants. I think 8 to 10 hours a day are fine. Live plants are really great for using the extra nutrients in the water so that algae doesn't form.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #5 
bettababe321

Ok I'll start turning the light off earlier. I want to get some live plants but I am waiting untill I move back up to school in a few weeks. You think I could put two Ottos in a 5 gallon with one of my boys?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #6 
dr2b

Oh wait, you have two bettas in the 5 gallon. That won't work then. I thought you had just one betta in the 5 gallon. If you have one betta in a 5 gallon, then you can put 2-3 otos in. I wanted 3 but the store only had 2.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #7 
bettababe321

No you had it right, I have 2 five gallon tanks with a betta in each one. I have never thought about Ottos before, I've always wanted Corys but I know they don't eat the algae. I'll have to check out the Ottos next time I'm at petco. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #8 
dr2b

Oh okay. So yeah then you can put up to 3 otos in each 5 gallon tank. Otos are tiny and quick, so it works perfect. I noticed they rest during the day when Flair is active and are active at night when Flair is resting. They are cute lil boogers! I love them to death - they can be funny to watch. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #9 
bettababe321

Ok cool! I'll deffinitely check them out tomorrow. I think I'm going to try just doing more frequent water changes and less light and if that doesn't work I'll probly get some Ottos! Thanks again for your help, I'll keep you posted
Old 08-22-2009, 06:36 AM   #10 
Kim

How old are the tanks? Mine all went through an algae phase when they were fairly new. I just scrubbed it more often (several times a week) and now my tanks rarely grow algae. Of course the planted tanks were another story.....I could NEVER get rid of the algae in there! One of the reasons I no longer have live plants. I also only leave my lights on for 10 hours a day.

Ottos are good buy you'll need to QT them before introducing to your tanks. Also you'll need to make sure you can feed them if you run out of algae. I've heard they can be quite picky eaters.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote