Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #1 
dr2b

Question Flair vs Otos

So I have a dilemma. Flair ALWAYS eats the otos sinking wafers. So I bought them some algae wafers today - he still is eating them. I even took him out of the tank for awhile. Problem is my otos take their good ole time getting to their stuff. They let it sit for hours before they go and even touch it. And so I ended up breaking it up in small pieces before I put Flair back in the tank - figured at least it's in there and it's small enough they'll get it tonight. Mr. Piglet decided he was going to eat the larger chunks that was visible and stand guard at all the pieces he can find.

It is to the point that he ignores anything and anyone and holds on to the algae wafer and carries it around with him. He is literally OBSESSED with these wafers I put in.

So - any suggestions? I'm running out of ideas...
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #2 
bmwguy

sorry, but the way you told this story/problem made me laugh. it's funny to see how childish they are, especially through feeding.

i used to have a community tank where my betta, angel fishes, etc, always ate the sinking wafers. Like you mentioned, the otos will wait for the wafer to soften before eating it, so why don't you soak a few in a cup of water before putting it in the tank. this way the otos will eat it right away with out having to wait till it softens?

hope that helps.
bmwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 AM   #3 
dr2b

Hmm never thought of that. I'll try that. But, how long does it take them to actually notice it then? Because I am going to have to start taking Flair out when feeding them these wafers...
Old 08-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #4 
Kim

maybe feed them at night too...that way Flair may not see them if it's dark when you put them in
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #5 
dr2b

I did lol. I put the wafer in at 11:20 and turned the light out. But came in to him eating it. So then I took it out and put another one in at 1:30 AM or so and my boyfriend and I had the hardest time getting Flair away. It got to the point tapping the side of the tank wasn't even working. I had my hand in there trying to get it out and he was still on that wafer.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #6 
dr2b

I will say my boyfriend and I did get a good laugh though....
Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

Have you tried using a blanched zucchini? It doesn't break apart so badly and even if flair nips at it, there should be plenty for the Otos. Plus, Otos LOVE zucchini!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #8 
dr2b

Umm I did try that on the Friday Flair injured his fins. I placed it near the intake tube (where my otos like to hang out) and Flair was hanging all over the zucchini. I read they like cucumbers... anyone know anything on that? When I bought the otos, I was told that since I had crypt and the amazon sword in the tank - that if there wasn't enough algae they would eat on the plant leaves. I don't know much about that though lol.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, that little brat, eating the otos' food! lol I hope you can find a solution to the problem.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #10 
dr2b

So Flair has himself a nice bulge going on in the tummy. And I thought I got every last bit of algae wafer up off the bottom - but apparently I didn't (because he is finding every last bit of it he can find). So I took him out, I'm resiphoning the gravel...and he is getting fasted for another day or so. That lil booger!