Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #1 
Davina

Not eating well

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? Nearly stable at 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, a sponge filter.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? There is an air pump attached to the sponge filter.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No tank mates.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula.
How often do you feed your betta fish? I used to feed her twice a day, but now I feed her at least three times throughout the day, depending on how much she ate at each session.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? A bit more than 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Water Conditioner, Atison's Betta Spa, and recently a bit of API StressCoat. Currently I am running a fungus treatment with API Pimafix (tomorrow will be the 7th and final day of treatment).

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 7.8
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She has always been distressingly thin but now she is skeletal and her tail fin is a little ragged. There is also some "fuzziness" on her tail which I believe to be fungus and has abated somewhat since I started treating with Pimafix.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She's very listless and lethargic. She just stays in one spot at the surface all day until she notices I'm there to feed her. Then she slowly comes over and eagerly takes in a pellet only to spit it out again. As the pellet falls, she attempts to dive after it but more often than not she gives up before reaching it.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Nearly a month ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? After attempting to simply lower the temperature to no effect, I've been treating the fungus with Pimafix, but also doing very vigorous water changes and giving her different "snacks" -- mostly frozen blood worms. I tried dried daphnia and another kind of food (don't remember the name) but the pellets were too big for her.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? She is nearly two years old.

She used to be a very active and lively fish. She loved darting everywhere! That's why I named her Dart. She never used to just float, like I've seen other bettas do. She would notice immediately when I approached her tank and would zoom up to greet me.

If there's anything else I can do for her, please let me know. Or if she's just getting old, or had too rough a start on life (she was a baby rescue from Petco), I'd like to know that too.

Thank you.
Davina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #2 
CoolishPrune3

A good picture might help. I just finished reading this thread and it seems like they were having the same problem.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=277057

It may be a result of the medication. Hopefully he will return to normal once completed.
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #3 
Davina

Thanks for the response, CoolishPrune3. I hope you're right.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #4 
Davina

Here's a photo.

You can see her clamped fins, but there's also a bit of fuzz on her tail. She swims very clumsily and kind of lists to one side after she eats.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #5 
Davina

I bought some Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets and just fed a few to her. She spat out a number, but I think she ultimately consumed about five pellets.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #6 
CoolishPrune3

She looks in rough shape. I have never owned a female Betta, so I've never had to care for one. She looks like she is in rough shape. How long has she looks liked this? Has she looked like this since you started treatment?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #7 
Davina

Thanks for the reply. She is indeed in rough shape. I never felt she ever really matured properly or filled out like a normal adult betta (I had her since she was a baby), but about a month ago she started looking worse, clamping her fins and behaving less actively. I only started the fungus treatment seven days ago. I don't feel the treatment really made any difference except to lessen the fungus slightly, though her poor eating has steadily gotten worse.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #8 
CoolishPrune3

A lot of people will highly recommend AQ salt for external treatments before any medicinal treatments. If you want to try that route. Maybe, the Pimafix isn't working and it producing a false positive and he is only getting sicker. I would wait a week with frequent, nice warm water changes before starting. I read someones post here the other day that said medications can be just as harmful as the illness. So he might be on his way to getting better. Today I think you said was his last dosing. Did you notice any changes after the water change?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #9 
Davina

Completed a 100% water change and she is showing some sparks of life again! She's much more energetic and aware (she came over to the side of the tank when I stood close). Her swimming is still a little sluggish. I'm very glad she managed to eat a few more Micro Pellets.

The fungus "fuzz" is still there on her tail. I'll continue the frequent water changes but I'm going to stop the Pimafix. That was too scary!

Thanks for the AQ salt suggestion. I've read both pros and cons for it so I don't know what to think.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #10 
CoolishPrune3

I apologise for all the he/him/his reference, when I know he's a she. Yeah AQ salt seems to do the trick, unless it is serious. I haven't treated for anything serious before. I look at her and she looks pretty banged up. Almost like as if she was suffering from the flu. If you are going to hold off on trying an AQ salt treatment, I understand, it is difficult. If you do go with an AQ salt treatment I would start of with 1tsp per gal. Unless you get information from someone else.

Post a picture if he is doing better and we can brain storm a new treatment hypothesis.

Last edited by CoolishPrune3; 10-01-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Tags
not eating