Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Thank you for the update. I'm happy to hear Dart ate a bit of food. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #22 
Davina

Hi everyone. I have some great news: Dart is doing so much better! Here's a pic:

You can see how her tail fin has grown back!

I hadn't yet started the AQ salt treatment and she seemed to heal up on her own. I can't see any fuzziness on her at all and her appetite and energy are back. She's almost back to her old self again! She still can't eat any larger pellets than the Micro that I've been giving her, but I think she's well on her way to gaining some weight back.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice and support (and those who didn't talk to me directly but I read your posts ^^).
Davina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #23 
hollyk

Sorry- I don't have much advice, but wanted to mention the food. There are a couple of better foods on the market- New Life Spectrum betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet- that are higher in protein. I personally use the NLS, but both are good. When you get a chance to get some, one of the higher quality, high protein foods might help her put on a little weight. I'm sure that the food is not her main problem, but as long as she's perking up, a change to a better food might help her out in the long run, too.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Davina, glad to see that she's doing better!

You could use other foods but crush them up if needed.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #25 
CoolishPrune3

Wow. What a strong fish. I was almost certain he wouldn't pull out. Good work! How do you have your tank setup right now? Do you have the water temp increased? Are you still thinking about doing the AQ salt?
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #26 
Davina

Thanks, everyone! I'm so happy she's doing better. :) Her color is fantastic!

About the food, hollyk: I agree NLS is better and I'm going to get some for her (ordered online). I couldn't find it at the store so went with the Micro Pellets. I look forward to seeing her fatten up! Thanks for the advice. :)

Sakura8, yes, I think I will probably have to crush them up for her. She's still too tiny.

Oh she is such a strong fish, CoolishPrune3! Honestly, her recovery really caught me by surprise. My tank setup is basically the same except I think the gravel rinsing I did decimated my beneficial bacteria. I was trying to be careful (used water conditioner in the rinse water) but I must have washed them away since the ammonia levels have been all over the place lately. So I'm doing frequent water changes and monitoring the ammonia levels until they stabilize. The temperature is about 76 F. I saw a bit of fuzz on her dorsal fin last night, so I might go ahead with the AQ salt treatment.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #27 
hollyk

I'm so glad she's getting better! Keep us posted on her status! She's a tough little cookie!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #28 
CoolishPrune3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davina View Post
The temperature is about 76 F. I saw a bit of fuzz on her dorsal fin last night, so I might go ahead with the AQ salt treatment.
I would wait until she fully recovers before starting the AQ salt treatment. Try increasing the water temp first. I noticed that when I was doing my AQ salt treatment, which was 3tsp per gal, my fish could easily notice an additive and instantly felt discomfort for a few hours. So, we don't want to add too much stress at this point.
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #29 
Davina

Hi, everyone.

Just another update on Dart's recovery, which is going spectacularly well, I'm happy to report! She's extremely energetic to the point where it's hard to get a clear pic of her, just like old days. :) Managed one capture yesterday:

Besides getting a bit of flesh on her tiny bones, her fins are getting longer and her color is just so much more vibrant. The rear tip of her dorsal fin is still kind of wonky, sort of bending over or collapsing, but it's steadily improving so it doesn't fall over anymore. I also noticed her right ventral fin seems to be kinked or folded, not sure what that means.

I've been feeding her crushed NLS Betta Formula food about twice a day (probably a total of two to three full pellets) with occasional bloodworm treats. Haven't bothered with any salt treatments or anything, just daily 25% water changes adding StressCoat. Oh and I increased her temperature to 79*, as CoolishPrune3 suggested.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #30 
Davina

Hey, everyone! I thought you might want to see how Dart is doing now:

I've never seen her so fabulous! :) She's finally grown up! I'm SO proud of her!

Tags
not eating