Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

+1^

They can go a long while without eating, especially if stressed out or feeling poorly. Offer pellets daily. Remove after 5 minutes and try next day. If he goes two weeks without eating, then you can start to worry a little.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #12 
rapidashton

it's been almost three days since i first posted here and he is doing great!!! he's swimming around his tank and he's eating and everything! he's acting very healthy! yes I have a filter. i use whisper micro filter and it's a brand new one. i have had no other problems. but my tank does get pretty cloudy just in 6 hours. i heard fish flakes cause this. i also heard bacterial blooms cause this. i'm going to get this "Prime" everyone is telling me to get. is it available at walmart or petsmart? and what are the benefits of cycling my tank vs leaving it uncycled? i'm considering cycling it but i dont really have a clue on how to do that /: i know what the cycle is, the ammonia then nitrite then nirtrate but i'm still unsure on how to cycle it. i'll try getting pellets instead of flakes! and thanks again!!
rapidashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #13 
galtgirl

I'm happy for you..sounds like you are doing everything right. Don't feel bad...I'm a grandmother and I don't understand how to cycle a new tank either, even though I've read everything. I've got a 5 gallon w/filter and heater and live plants. I've been doing 40% water changes every week and checking the water with dip sticks. So far I have no Ammonia but don't know how I will know when the tank is cycled.
galtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #14 
rapidashton

That's exactly how i am! Ive read everything but I still dont get it. Looks like we're on the same boat, my friend. Hopefully someone will help us out!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom, not harmful but unsightly. Change water 50%. It has nothing to do with flakes. It's not the nitrifying bacteria you want to grow for your nitrogen cycle.

Cycling with a fish in the tank takes care and attention towater conditions. The best way to do this is to use this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379756505&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater"]Amazon.com: API Freshwater Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies[/ame]
This will last for years..... And the price just went down.

Cycling is just the process of growing bacteria. It requires a few easy-to-follow steps, mostly water changes. Read the cycling stickies at the top of this menu and anything else you can. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

Bottom line: if you change half your water whenever the ammonia reaches 0.25ppm and add Prime (2-drops/gal tank size), eventually your tank will cycle without you dong anything else. If you change half your water twice a week with Prime, your tank will also cycle automatically. It's better to use a test kit for security and for your own peace-of-mind.

You can cycle without it, but you're just guessing. In any case 2x50% water changes/week using Prime (2-drops/gal of tank size) will offer added security and protection from ammonia. Prime is available at Petsmart. Get the small bottle for now. Later I'll tell you what to do with the empty bottle.

Live plants are a wonderful way to ensure safety while cycling. If you have a lot of plants, Galtgirl, they may eat all the ammonia before they even get to the bacteria. Thius is a good thing. Plants respond faster to upsets and ammonia spikes than bacteria do.

Is this the filter you're using, Ashton? If not give me a link or more accurate name.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #16 
Tree

I was the same way. I had NO idea what cycling meant until I looked it up and had plenty of help. I am still doing a fish in cycle with two of my bettas in their tanks. everyone here has great advice and I'm sure your fish will be just fine. =)
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #17 
rapidashton

thank you!!!!!! and he's already making bubble nests and occasionally flaring up. he's very active and healthy. but how do i change the water without messing up his bubble nest?? /:
Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Don't worry about the bubblenest. He'll make another. Just be careful when you siphon, in case he's nosy.

Tags
betta, cycling, dying betta, fish, new tank