Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #1 
niki93

Exclamation New betta owner

Hey guys!
My husband just got 2 goldfish and 1 sucker fish for my birthday about 3 weeks ago. We don't know anything about fish keeping,so he got a 2 gallon tank for the three fish with a filter because the salesperson said "it should be enough for 3 fish". Well,I really liked them,so I did some research and found out everything we did, we did it wrong. So I bought them a bigger tank but it still didn't seem to help because the sucker fish died and the two goldfish got ammonia poisoning(they are all red and just sitting on the bottom). I really feel sorry for them because they are really nice fish,but at the same time I am angry that they did not say anything in the shop about cycling or water changes or tester kits.

So there was the question "what do we do with the small tank?" So my husband went back to the pet store,and without any questions(again) he bought Lekvar(my beautiful betta). I was really angry at him that without any thinking he bought an other fish(although we killed 1 and poisoned 2) and put it into that small poisonous tank.

So again I did some research on betta fish keeping and realized that this tank is still small for only one betta as well.(this time my tester kit was on the way)
So I decided that I am not going to lose an other such beautiful fish,so I bought a bigger tank(about 5 gallon, 20 liters) When I got my tester kit I chekced the water in the small tank and it had really high ammonia.I quickly did some water change on it to lower it.

So I set up the new tank and let it run for 1 day. Of course there is filter and water heater in it. I put some gravel,2 small ornaments and 1 moss ball as well and 1 plant but after 2 days I took that out because it didn't seem healthy. And of course I put water conditioner and some Pure Aquarium clear balls.

After one day I put Lekvar in the new tank. He really seem to like it,because he has so much space now to swim and few places to hide.

Right now is day 3 since I put him in the new tank. I did check the parameters every day since I put him in,there is no ammonia in the tank yet. My parameters right now: ammonia:0 mg/l nitrite:0.5 mg/l nitrate:25 mg/l.
The water temperature is usually between 25-26 degrees(78-80 F). Ph level is between 7.2-7.6 .
We feed him with Hikari Betta Bio-gold pellets and sometimes dried blood worms.

He seem to be happy and healty and it seems like he starts to like us:)

My questions are: how often should I change the water while cycling the tank? How much water should I change? Should I get a vacuum for the gravel? Do I do something wrong?

I already love this little guy so much, I really want him happy and healthy and provide him excellent water conditions,please if you have any advice how to do it,let me know!:)
niki93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's good you have a test kit. (What kind?) You're already ahead of the game. Change half the water whenever the ammonia or nitrite get to 0.25mg/L. Check it every couple of days. Match temperature and condition the refill water before refilling. Prime by Seachem is an excellent conditioner because it detoxifies ammonia; something those Goldies need right now.

Use a siphon (gravel vac) to remove waste along with the water during changes.

You might do well to upgrade his food. New Life Spectrum and Omega One Betta pellets are far better than Hikari. Frozen bloodworms are superior to freeze-dried.

Same for the Goldies (0.25mg/L max) Change the Goldy's water every day if you have to. And start looking for a much bigger tank, or try to return them.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-01-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #3 
Chachi

Welcome!! You will find lots of great information here! :)
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #4 
ANHEL123

Welcome to the forum! None of my tanks are cycled so i can't give good advice on that, but Hallyx is experience with that so he can help you on that. I agree to change the food. The one that you are using not the best one and has a lot of fillers. This is the most recommended that Hallyx already mentioned.

http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-form...ir_affid=27795

http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...FQyk4AodxXEAsw

Also there is recommended to swish/rinse the filter media weekly in the tank water. I just not sure if you have to do it now or when your tank completely cycled. Would you correct me Hallyx?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Yes. never change the filter. Once the tank is cycled, you'll take the insert/cartridge/sponge/media out every couple of water changes and swish it around to rinse it in tankwater that you just removed. That will become part of your weekly maintenance schedule. Thanks, ANHEL for reminding me.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #6 
niki93

Thank you guys for the quick answers,it answers lot of my questions. I am currently using King British tester but I think I am going to get the API master kit,what everyone recommends.
My husband is taking care of the goldfish right now,I told him to change the water more often(they are very messy) but they are not doing so good.:(
And yes,I have read not change the filter media just rinse it in old tank water,and I will do so when I clean the tank next time.
The tank seems very clean to me still,and the water is clear as well,but I am going to check the ammonia tomorrow morning(because I checked it yesterday and it was 0 still)
Thanks again for your help guys, this forum helps a lot! :)
Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

About cartridge , if its become too old or starts falling apart, put a new cartridge in the filter but keep the old one behind it for a week, and of course monitor the water.

Also if your gold fish not doing good make sure DO NOT CROSS - CONTAMINATE ANYTHING between them so you don't get him infected with anything
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

+1^ about cross-contamination.

What's the Goldies ammonia reading? I'll bet they're suffering from ammonia poisoning. Unless you're in love wit them, I'd suggest getting them back to the LFS soonest.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #9 
niki93

Yeah I thought that I shouldn't cross-contaminate anything between them, I am very careful with my betta,we have learned the lesson.
I am not sure about the ammonia exactly in the goldies tank,but it was low a couple of days ago,and my husband did at least 3 water changes since. They actually seem alright right now,they are not so red anymore and they are swimming a lot more. So we are hoping they will be alright.:)

I also attached a picture of my betta(I hope you guys can see it and I attached it right)
I am not sure about the tip of his tail. It's a little bit grey but I can't decide if it's just the color or something else. I might be overreacting everything now.:/

Thanks again for the advices guys!:)
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

He is gorgeous and i am pretty sure the tips of his tail just fine. Its him normal coloration. I just bought a betta for one of the girl that i mat on this forum , and we live in the same town , that betta looks exactly like your boy. I think he looks just fine and healthy .
Let us know how he doing:)