Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #21 
dr2b

It is best to use a CFL daylight spectrum light bulb. But do make sure it says daylight spectrum. There are normal CFL's in the same area - very easy to make that mistake. Usually your tank will tell you what the maximum wattage your hood can take. Also, make sure you have at least 1.5 watts per gallon.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #22 
Phether

And what type of heater/filter should I be using?
Phether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #23 
doggyhog

For a heater, you want 5 watts per gallon.

Filters, well there are a lot out there!! I use an Aqueon Power Filter. You may need to build a little contraption if the current is too strong.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #24 
Phether

I was thinking about getting an amazon sword. If i somehow put the sword in front of the filter to block it, then the current shouldnt be too bad right? But will the water still get filtered thoroughly? I was also wondering how heaters are mounted. Do they mount vertically on a corner of the aquarium? Or can I place it on the bottom near the sand hidden behind something? I'm not quite sure how it works and I dont want the betta to swim onto it and burn itself or anything >_>
Old 08-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #25 
Bawble

You could just get a hydor mini heater and just bury it underneath the gravel so your betta wont have any contact with it.
Bawble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #26 
Jynx

Yeah it's hard to recommend details like the kind of heater until you decide on the size and type of tank you want, which also depends on what fish you decide to keep. But since you already said you had trouble with goldfish in the past I would try to keep it simple and just get a pretty veiltail to spoil. Then once you've looked after him a while you can get more advanced with divided tanks and group female tank or community and such.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #27 
Phether

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
It is best to use a CFL daylight spectrum light bulb. But do make sure it says daylight spectrum. There are normal CFL's in the same area - very easy to make that mistake. Usually your tank will tell you what the maximum wattage your hood can take. Also, make sure you have at least 1.5 watts per gallon.
This one would be perfect for a 10 gallon tank, yes? :]
http://www.e3living.com/15-watt-dayl...tt-replacement

But don't aquariums use fluorescent tubes? (The long light bulbs) Or does it vary from tank to tank?
Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #28 
Jynx

don't know if that would fit an aquarium hood- and you need a lid for your betta tank since bettas jump out of the tank A LOT
you should wait and see what bulbs fit the aquarium you end up getting- probably they have plant lights at the pet store.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote